This Disappears When Logged In

Still thinking about a beardie -- juvie

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Mark, Jan 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark

Mark Elite Member

As many of you know I have been flirting with the idea of a beardie for a few years. I have been thinking about it more now that my ig's days are numbered which is what I have been thinking for over a month now. I've been asking my gf (serious relationship and the M word has been coming up in conversation) about them and she likes the idea of a lizard and thinks that Bob is cool to have around.

I have a cage designed and being priced out now -- aluminum frame with a solid wall having foam insulation. Currently looking at a cage size of 60" l x 30" d x 36" h.

I know that I don't want to buy one from a pet store and would like to go with a breeder. I also don't think I would like a hatchling. Are there any members out there who have bred these and trying to sell or will be in the next few months? I know that these are not common for adoptions but I am not opposed to the idea of that either. Granted I only have experience with one lizard who I have kept since 1995.

2. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

Mark, I have actually seen a number of beardies on my local Craigslist, and that is how I adopted mine...

3. venus

venus Founding Member

When the time is right Mark,,,I would love to help you find one. ;) You know we are here to help with anything.

4. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

Mark, I know you don't want a hatchling but if you change you mind, I'll be breeding at least one of my females and will be willing to send you an established hatchling that is spoiled rotten. LOL FYI: I got 3 of my beardies off of craigslist also.

5. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

You could easily keep a beardie Mark with your iguana experience. They have the same lighting needs, and other than periodic insects, eat the same salad.

6. BRIZZY

BRIZZY Banned User

I would go with a juvi. Baby's can be hard to get eating and things unless, it is well established and eating then i would consider a baby. Beardies are great, and they have awesome personalities!! Good luck with your descion!! There is this adoption place that has a few juvi's and adults and i even think some babies http://reptilesden.com/ It's based out of Philadelphia, PA! Not that badon prices either. I am possibly getting my male beardie from here!!

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Any responsible breeder will not put hatchlings out on the market until they are reliably feeding. Baby beardies are not generally difficult to get to eat, in fact they are so food oriented you have to watch them or they will eat their littermate's legs and tail tips!
    I personally prefer aquiring my animals as hatchlings and raising them. I like seeing them grow up and knowing their history. But that is me.
    However after being used to the size of Bob I can understand why you might not want something as tiny as a hatchling.
    Besides after being used to dealing with an iguana, a beardie will be a "walk in the park"!

8. Mark

Mark Elite Member

Well I did stupid today. I walked into three shops after making Bob's last visit to the vet. Yes I did that hard action today at 10:30.

The first shop I hit was the local bike shop and the next two were pet stores which I knew would have dragons. I guess the little near-hatchlings are not that small, and this is coming from someone who was just holding a lizard measuring in at 16" SVL with an additional 34 or 36" of tail.

Can you see where I am going with this? Well you may have been mislead and the only store where my wallet left my pocket was the bicycle shop.

Anyway I will be getting a dragon but it will take me a while to build the cage I am designing. I would like to buy or adopt from a member here who breeds or has come to a point where they're unable to keep theirs anymore.

Merlin is partially correct in that jumping to such a small lizard will come as a shock but I have a few other reasons why I think I would like a somewhat older lizard. I have read in a few places where people have had hard times with their BD not taking veggies, I would like one which has started accepting more than just insects. I may be a little further off on my other idea in that I was thinking of the stress of shipment.

9. BRIZZY

BRIZZY Banned User

I's so sorry i know it was probably very hard for you this morning, and i am sorry!! Good luck with the beardie make sure you get us pics whenever it is that you find the right little guy!!

10. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

Mark,
    I'll be breeding mine in the next week or so and if you want to wait, when you come home for a visit you can stop and pick up a baby or what ever depending on when you get home. You can drive it home with you.

11. Mark

Mark Elite Member

I kind of like that idea and it would give me a reason to drive over to see my Dad. He has a second house just outside of Caseville. Come to think of it I have not seen him since I was graduated back in May.

12. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

Well I'll be breeding one of two of my females today or tomorrow and your welcome to a baby. I promised Sean one breeding. The male will be citrus and the female orange. The other possibilities is an all most white male (snow still trying to get the dirt off him that has been ground into his pores) and a normal female.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.