This Disappears When Logged In

Sterilizing Stone?

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by jweiner, Dec 25, 2013.

1. jweiner

jweiner Elite Member

I bought a couple small pieces of slate to use in my Leo enclosure. What is the best way to sterilize this?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just a good scrubbing will do just fine. If you want to get serious about it you can use a 1-10 bleach water solution.

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I scrub them with vinegar and then rinse with boiling water.

4. preyparade

preyparade Well-Known Member

I put my stone in the oven and bake them for about 45 minutes.

5. Merlin

Putting stone in the oven poses a serious risk. If there are air cavities in the stone it can explode.

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I scrub with a bleach solution, then rinse with freshly boiled water. Allow to cool before use.

7. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I use a bleach solution also for disinfecting also.

8. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

No need to sterilize slate. I don't know what peoples obsession is with sterilizing everything.
    Instead, spend the time educating yourself about what could possibly be on there that would harm your reptile.

There is a difference between taking something in from outside and using something that was previously used in another reptile tank with a different species however. The latter I would sterilize. From outside, a visualize inspection of insect nests or pressure wash all the nooks and crannies is all you need. IMO.

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I sterilize the rocks because I live in a farming city so everything is covered in fertilizer and insecticide. Then if I get anything from out in the desert- well those areas are either mining or bombing/weapon testing grounds so there is a good chance that has chemicals on it as well.

10. kriminaal

Good points for sure I guess different locales can sure make a difference in how to treat them.
    I hate bleach though, it's much worse than anything that could be found on them. Diluted vinegar is a safer solution in my opinion.
    Bleach although very common, is very nasty stuff.

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yeah I refuse to use bleach as well. For every day cleaning and sterilizing I will use vinegar. If it needs something more powerful-maybe theres an illness or for cleaning all quarnatine- tanks I will use F10 disinfectant.

12. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

I'm a boiler, but than I have enough pots and pans to fit just about anything I would want to pick up from outside. Knowing what may have contaminated the given piece is key. If in doubt, don't use it.

13. Merlin

I guess my sterilization with bleach goes back to my tropical fish keeping days. I sterilized everything. But then most of what I was collecting came from waterways.

14. kriminaal

Probably why don't bother is I only get my stuff from the woods, where it has not come in contact with anything harsh other than coyote pee.

15. Merlin

LOL! The dreaded yellow snow!