This Disappears When Logged In

Steppe Runner Suddenly Very Sick

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by Phil72, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Phil72

Phil72 Member

My steppe runner, who I got as an adult and have had for a few years, has suddenly become very weak, lethargic, and has lost a lot of weight. His tank conditions are correct and the same as they have always been. He used to be very active and a very wild eater, now he does not run away when I put my hand in the cage and he has to be fed by hand. This has been happening for a few days now and he is getting worse by the day. Please tell me of any ideas you have for what may be happening and how I could bring him back to health. Thanks. I will post pictures soon.

2. Phil72

Phil72 Member

Here are some pictures of him.

Attached Files:

3. Phil72

Phil72 Member

Update: This morning he still wanted to eat when being hand-fed, but is now having trouble chewing. Can somebody please help me figure out what is wrong with him?

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That lizard is in bad shape! I would suggest a vet.

5. Phil72

Phil72 Member

Do you have any what I could do? I am not able to get to a vet right now.

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, the lizard looks very sick, can you give details of the temps (ambient and basking surface) plus humidity range and how you measure those, plus a few photos of the whole enclosure including a top view. I don`t think the condition happened overnight?

7. Phil72

Phil72 Member

Ambient temp: 74 F
    Basking temp: 96 F
    Humidity: 34%
    I've attached two pictures of the set up. The back left is basking/warm, with a heating pad underneath and incandescent light bulb overhead. There is also a Repti-sun 10.0 uvb bulb on top of the tank.

Attached Files:

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for the details and photos. How are you measuring the basking surface temp and what type of basking bulb are you using? You`ll lose a significant amount of heat with the part screen top, I would advise you cover it as completely as possible (kitchen foil will work temporarily).
    The screen will also block at least some of the UVB, perhaps a large amount.

9. Phil72

Phil72 Member

I measure temperature with a laser temperature gun and am using an incandescent light bulb as the basking bulb (60 or 100 watts, changes throughout the year depending on room temperature). Are you suggesting I block the basking bulb with aluminum foil? Thanks.

10. Cherux02

Cherux02 Active Member

Did you say if you use any calcium supplement? How long has his appetite been decreasing? The weight loss looks significant.

11. Phil72

Phil72 Member

I use Repashy calcium plus dusted on his food when I feed him. His appetite has been decreasing for about a week now, and nothing was noticeable until then. He did manage to eat a few roaches yesterday, but was nowhere near his old self and still very skinny. Thanks for your help.

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I was advising you buy a more suitable "basking" bulb, the incandescent is not suitable at all because similar to the CHE it directs the heat all around rather than downwards. There should be no need to use a heating pad.
    I suggested you cover as much of the screen as possible in order to stabilise the conditions inside.