This Disappears When Logged In

Stenophis Eating, Finally!

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by Dragoness, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

This little guy refused to eat for the first six weeks I owned him, and his weight dropped down to 61 grams, so I resorted to assist feeding (opened his mouth, inserted mouse) he swallowed on his own and did not regurgitate.

Never had to force it down the throat, he was willing to eat what I put in his mouth.

I had offered mice, live and dead, geckos, anoles, and chameleon-scented mice (used shed cham skin from a friend with chams) all to no avail.

Recently changed a few aspects of his husbandry that may have contributed (there is very little literature available on these guys)

Moved him into a black PVC cage, with no lights or heaters. It gives him more privacy, and cooler temps. Did this after reading from another keeper that they successfully kept this species at temps of 68-78ºF, and observing that the snake was more active on cool nights.

Have been assist feeding for weeks, offering him a chance to eat on his own first. Last night, he actually took, and ate the F/T mouse all on his own!

He (gender unknown) is a very shy snake, so I typically don't watch when I offered him a chance to eat on his own. I did not get to see it happen, but the mouse is gone!

Darkbird likes this.
  2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Finally, lol. Glad to hear this, I know having to assist couldn't have been making it happy.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Very frustrating when one doesn't eat I know.
    Glad to hear you're over the first hurdle.