This Disappears When Logged In

starving hognose

Discussion in 'Hognose Snakes' started by pennfisherman, Feb 3, 2015.

1. pennfisherman

pennfisherman Member

I have a male 7 month old hognose tha t has been fasting for 3 months now and had lost ALOT of weight! He was probably around 15 grams and is now about 9 grams. I've tried every trick I could to get it to feed (e.g. in/out of containers, overnight in a bag, pink and black pinkies, scenting of everything you could possibly think of) My vet even had me try crickets and guppies and the little guy still won't eat--just gets all huffy. Tonight I'm going to try a pinky head and if that does not work, my vet wants to move onto tube feeding. Has anyone experienced this before, and if so, does anyone have any advice?

2. pennfisherman

pennfisherman Member

Some addition info: My vet and I wanted to do a fecal float test but couldn't because by the time I took him to the her, all of the stool samples we could find were dried up. Also I keep my cage on a thermostat with hot side at 90F and cool side is usually around 80...right now I have it set to 92 and a light cycle of 14 hours (doctor's order).

3. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

Hey there, Hognoses are very tricky snakes. I have a few questions?
    . Do you have any pics of your hognose and its enclosure? Believe it or not enclosures size can cause a hognose to stop eating. Happened to me with my albino a few years back.
    . How many hides are in it's enclosure?
    . Where is the heat coming from top or bottom?

4. pennfisherman

pennfisherman Member

I don't have a pic right now...but it's in a 5 gallon tank with one hide, almost 2 inches of aspen, a water bowl it hides u Der sometimes, and other things like leaves to hide in.

5. pennfisherman

pennfisherman Member

heat is from the bottom and there is a lamp on top for light and some heat.