This Disappears When Logged In

Startled Dragon?

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by huskergirl, Oct 25, 2012.

1. huskergirl

huskergirl Well-Known Member

Something happened tonight that kinda freaked me out. Mushu was running around my room like he normally does when he managed to wiggle his way behind my cage. I thought I had it lizard-proofed, but he proved me wrong. I won't make that mistake again! Anyway, in order to get him out, I had to herd him along with my hand. The weird thing was, he nipped at my finger! He's only ever done that once, when he mistook my finger for a giant mealworm during a feeding. After I got him out, I tried to feed him, since I figured he must be hungry. Then things got freaky. He kinda pushed my hand away with his nose a few times. I took the hint and just put the mealworms there and backed up. Thing was, he kept missing the worms when he would try for them. It was like his depth perception was off and he couldn't figure out why he couldn't get them. It was rather dark in my room, so I'm wondering if they don't see as well at night? Or did I just startle him so bad by herding him out that he couldn't accurately judge the distance to the worms? After I left him alone, he climbed up his vine and is sleeping. I've just never seen him do this before, and it really worried me. Any thoughts?

2. huskergirl

Oh, I forgot to mention he was trying to go to sleep behind the cage, and he was startled when I moved it a bit. I'm thinking maybe being half-asleep would account for the aggression and the lack of coordination? Sorry if this seems stupid, but it really worried me since I've never seen this before.

3. SpidaFly

SpidaFly Elite Member

Was he really trying to sleep behind the cage, or was he just stuck and extremely afraid? Over the last month I've had cause to take one of my dragons to the vet a few times, so I've seen some of the fear responses - eyes closed, almost catatonic. As far as it being dark when you tried to feed the dragon, the lack of UVA light (which they depend on) could easily account for the poor feeding performance.

I've noticed a similar behavior to what you mention about your dragon pressing "aggressively" into your hand. My AWD is exceptionally standoffish, and while she will occasionally tolerate my proximity, on other occasions she will actually lean into my fingers/hand if I try to touch her gently.

If I were in your situation, I would just make sure your dragon is as comfortable as usual, abstain from handling for a while, let his psychology "reset" a bit for a few days. Just my opinion.

Good luck!

4. huskergirl

Ok thanks! Yes, he was definitely trying to sleep. He wasn't stuck, he just liked that it was dark and cozy. After I calmed down, I thought about all of that, but it's really nice to have that confirmation! He's acting just fine today. :)