This Disappears When Logged In

Starter Frogs?

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by kevman, Mar 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevman

kevman Elite Member

I'm looking into getting an amphibian, I have a whole 5 foot wall left to put something on and I was wondering what frog would be good for a starter, I have heard Whites treefrog, but I want something that live in half land half water habitats. Anything will do.

2. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

My whites have a filtered pond area that they like to soak in, then they climb up and hide. Since they are nocturnal they don't do too much, I also keep Fire Bellies, they are more active and a little easier to keep.

3. kevman

kevman Elite Member

Ill check out the Fire Bellies, I was looking for something active too.

4. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I always recommend a horned frog as the perfect beginner, but they don't spend much time in the water, and they're about as inactive as you can get. In your case I'd get some oriental fire-bellied toads. They're the green ones and most often kept of the fire-bellieds. They're fairly active (as far as frogs go), and get along well in small groups of up to 6. Clawed frogs are another good one, but they're entirely aquatic.

5. kevman

kevman Elite Member

I like the idea of the Red Bellied frogs, I just gotta go to the Exotic pet store and see if they have any.

6. fuse

fuse Elite Member

HI,

since u are setting up a relatively large setup, i think white tree frogs might be better. as u can make the best out of the space u have too.

fire bellied toads are cute, think u will enjoy their low pitch croaking!!!
    especially when u mist them.

cheers

7. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

I would recommend firebellies. They are so hardy, that they can live trhough just about any abount of neglect. As long as they are kept wet, fed, and clean, they thrive!

White's are neat, but the firebellies seem better for the half and half tank. Especially since this is your first amphibian. If you want to keep white's. Do LOTS of research and ,ake sure you know without a doubt how to care for them. Even tough they are hardy and a good beginner, many of them end up SOL and dead with a neglectful owner. Check on herpcenter's caresheet and you can also look at mine on my website. Just make sure that w/e your choice is, research your new animal as much as possible.

Good Luck,

8. kevman

kevman Elite Member

Alright. I will look into as many amphibians I can.
    Fuse: What kind of Frog did you build that really nice cage for?

Geckoguy: thanks for the help, I'll research all I need to.

9. fuse

fuse Elite Member

Fire bellied toads!!!

anyway if u have the time maybe could set up one for salamanders, they're also semi aquatic. but not as easy to care for.

update us on ur progress!!!

10. kevman

kevman Elite Member

Alright, I'll look into everything said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.