This Disappears When Logged In

Spraying

Discussion in 'Blood Pythons' started by astoudt, Apr 15, 2014.

1. astoudt

astoudt New Member

Alright so I joined this forum because I can't seem to find anywhere else with many knowledgeable people when it comes to Blood Pythons. I can't believe they aren't more popular! Anyway. I am still getting used to my first one. He is really bad for spraying. All of my other snakes at home are BP's so I'm completely unfamiliar with the spraying trait. The blood does it all of the time in his cage, at least 3-4 times a week. To make it worse, his cage is in my bedroom! I'm tired of my room absolutely stinking. Does anyone out there have any experience with a younger male maybe getting better with or stopping this habit with age or handling?

Here's a pic of him to introduce him to y'all. Meet Jabba the hutt.

IMG_0094.jpg

2. Poison

Poison Elite Member

Is he musking out of defense? I don't believe snakes mark their territory. How is he when you handle him?

3. astoudt

astoudt New Member

I don't think it's a defense thing since there shouldn't be a reason he feels threatened. He just chills in his hide actually and doesn't come out much which I am surprised about. I thought they were a little more active. Handling he is okay. Hissy when I first get into the tank and sometimes a little jumpy. He hasn't ever actually struck at me or sprayed me... Maybe he just has to pee a lot? Haha. I don't know, it is just really smelly and pretty annoying. :confused:

4. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I don't really know much about blood pythons and I've never had an animal that sprayed but maybe it is like a dog or cat marking it's territory. Just a uneducated guess. Lol. That's an odd one. One that I will be looking into myself. Hmm.

I've always been interested in them but other projects have kept me from learning more about them.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It's a trait that blood pythons are known for.

6. astoudt

astoudt New Member

but do you think it is something he might do less as he gets older and is handled more? ...basically, is it always gunna be this bad/ this much!! :(

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I really don't know. I have just read several articles that mention the behavior. However since it is a defensive behavior, it may slow down as the snake gets used to you.