This Disappears When Logged In

Splinter Question

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by al0756, Mar 27, 2013.

1. al0756

al0756 New Member

My ball python Wally got himself a small splinter about 4 inches behind his neck. hes still a juvenile and i was very worried. You can tell around where the splinter was it was a small wound. I have since pulled the reptibark he has, and the stick i had in there as well (He loves to perch on the stick) I was able to get the splinter out, and applied a small amount of bacitracin with a Q-tip. I have put down Aspen as substrate now, as i am unsure of where the splinter came from.

I can be overly worried with my pets, and im wondering if i had taken the right steps in using bacitracin on the snake, or should i have left it. I was worried that he may possibly get infected, and i want to do everything i can to prevent it. I can touch where the small wound is, and it doesn't seem to bother him any, but i am keeping a close eye on him. Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Instead of bacitracin, I would use nesporin or any of the triple antibiotics. You want the ones WITHOUT pain killers.
    I would also leave the cage without substrate until the wound heals.
    Just keep an eye on it for any signs of infection.

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

His stick should be fine though and he could have that back.

4. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Could the splinter have come from the stick? If he was going underneath it and rubbed it then got the splinter that way...I would keep him on paper towels until he's healed :)

5. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

I would try sanding down his stick too. I use natural wood in several of my enclosures, and have sanded them all down in an attempt to prevent splinters as well. Once he's healed, you could re-introduce the stick.

6. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

My anole got a splinter on the very bottom of his foot a month or two ago. Fortunately, he pulled it out himself with his mouth and all i had to do was dab a tiny bit of Neosporin(without the pain killer) I would also like to add that the reptibark probably didn't cause the splinter because it was on his top side, and unless your snake crawls on it's back...

7. Zappa230

Zappa230 Elite Member

Lol. Imagine a snake crawling around upside down. Even funnier with a big snake, like a Burmese python.