This Disappears When Logged In

Spiny Tailed Iguana

Discussion in 'Ctenosaura - Spiny Tail Iguana' started by Bullybox, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Bullybox

Bullybox New Member

I have a lizard that I adopted from a pet store. They couldn't sell her because she was unhealthy, I was told she's a spiny tailed iguana but I'm not sure. I've had her for about a year now and she hasn't grown much maybe two inches or so, I've been looking for articles about the care of these lizards but can't seem to find a lot. I just want to be sure she's in the right habitat and eating the correct diet, she hasn't gotten sick, but I worry about her growth please help.

image.jpg image.jpg

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I don`t know much about these animals at all, but here`s a caresheet, I hope it`s of some help and I hope another member with some experience will offer advise. I would think the above careguide would be broadly accurate, the only thing I would question would be the relatively low basking surface temp?
    Can you give details of the enclosure size and type plus the conditions inside and how you measure ambient and surface temps plus the humidity range? Thanks!

Bullybox likes this.
  3. Bullybox

Bullybox New Member

It's a 55 gallon tank it's kind of tall, but not completely aboreal. Basking temp is at 100F, humidity level is about 65%. I have a laser temp gun that I use for my bearded dragon, she isn't my first iguana, but she's the first of the specific species. I have a UVA strip light along the top of her cage. Thanks so much for the help.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, thanks for the details, I would think the basking surface temp is a bit too low, and would advise raising it to around 110f, if the animal seems to avoid basking at that then lower it back down. How are you measuring the humidity and does the fishtank have a screen or part screen top?
    I think you mean a UVB/A fluorescent tube/bulb, what brand and wattage is that, plus the brand and wattage of the heat/basking bulb?
    I think this fishtank is too small, can you show a photo of the whole setup?

5. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Just making a comment here, now that this is another thread in which after the poster who came for help was asked to do certain things or provide certain details, they just stopped and apparently disappeared never to return.
    Murrindindi is, as far as I am concerned, one of the most patient, helpful and knowledgeable "lizard persons" on this reptile site! It's a pity some of these people asking for help can't seem to manage it.