This Disappears When Logged In

Special Needs Leopard Gecko?

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by aromatherapykim, May 19, 2014.

1. aromatherapykim

aromatherapykim Elite Member

I was at my local exotic pet store today and they got in a white leopard gecko who seems a little special. He's always got his head tilted to the left, he walks to the left, leans to the left, and sometimes tips over. Pet store isn't sure what's wrong with him and I really want to take him home.
    Any idea what the problem could be? I know this is all very vague, I just saw him at the store today and fell for him.
    I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick him up later this week, any tips on caring for a less capable gecko?

2. epictreasure

epictreasure Elite Member

Im not at all sure about this, but could it be metabolic bone disorder

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

From your description I would lean toward an inner ear defect or infection.

4. aromatherapykim

so if I decide to take this little guy home (which I want to do) what would I need to do to get him to his optimum? He seems a little thin so once goal is nutrition and weight. Calcium, everything would be calcium dusted and I would offer a calcium bowl. I would probably give him weekly maybe twice a week gecko saunas to be sure he's hydrated.
    Any other tips? I know this could or could not be something that will be reversible but I want to have him as healthy and happy as possible

5. aromatherapykim

This is him

Attached Files:

6. Merlin

If its just infection it may be treatable. If its a defect, that's just the way the gecko is going to be.
    That really won't help with hydration. That is going to require oral water intake.

7. aromatherapykim

Ok good to know! so saunas just help for sheds but aren't near enough for actual hydration im guessing.
    so if it's an infection I'll need to get him to the vet to get meds? or is there also something I can do for him to help that, or possibly rule it out.
    I have no problem getting him to a vet (as long as I can find a good one), I just want to be sure I am doing everything possible aswell

8. Merlin

Yes. It will require antibiotics.