This Disappears When Logged In

(Sort Of) Stolen Cage Design for Water Dragon!!!

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by daave220, Aug 11, 2010.

1. daave220

daave220 Active Member

These are rough dimensions for plan in progress and I just want to know what y'all think. I took this cage design off the website:

Water Dragon Enclosure

and added drawers.

You can see the drawers on the right and a water fall that might go the whole way up. the more solid dotted line is the extent of the inside (the total space for my dragon). and the small dotted line is the height of the water, which I will have a ramp for him so he can get in and out. The lights will be hidden by a wood pannel so it will look a little nicer, but will still be easy to get to if/when they need to be changed.

[​IMG]

I added two vents in the back and will use wood for the back.

[​IMG]

On the left side you will be able to see half the cage (wood and plexiglass) along with being able to see the area for swimming.

[​IMG]

The right side will be similar to the left except wood down below because there's drawers and not water... duh

[​IMG]

Like I said before, these are the basic designs and measurements I have and this isnt my final design.

Some questions I have are:
    1) How many vents do I really need for the dragon
    2) How on earth do I keep this massive cage at that right tempature
    3) Should I also buy the under tank heaters and place on the side or just under neither
    4) Is the Zoo Med Repti Fogger worth getting to keep humidity up?
    5) Is a digital hygrometer a good idea to buy?
    5) Last: I'm open to and want any questions, comments, suggestions... pleeeeeeaaaaasssseeee.

I'm not 100% sure what all I need, I have Han Solo (my water dragon) in a 40 gal right now and he's almost a foot long. I want to get him in a new home asap. I have all the supplies and my dad has the knowledge to build this stuff (we have a really bad *** workshop in our basement). We've built a lot of stuff never a reptile habbit lol. So help me out. I know humidity has to be around 80% and temp one side 90 and the other around low 80s.

Han is a great dragon, likes to be held and is very calm. I'm afraid if I don't move him whenever I take him out he'll wanna be on the go. So I want him in his new home soon.

Attached Files:

2. tmw1093

tmw1093 Active Member

Wow, that's awesome! I'm interested in what everyone else has to say about this as well, I probably wouldn't be much help because this is what I'm doing at the moment also. Five Stars to generate some publicity!

3. HydroDragon

HydroDragon Elite Member

Nice looking Design. But I think I would stick to leaving both sides of the enclosure to being wood. It will save you some money and time. Not to mention CWD's dont seem to get along well with stuff they can see through. So its only benefit really would be for viewing him. And In my Opinion you'd be better off saving your time and money keeping it solid. With that said, it looks like a good looking cage and design. Keep in mind, if your making a waterfall dont run your tubing up to high in the enclosure. This is something I did with my first build on my cage, The mini submersable pumps are adjustable. But even at max flow it would barley make it to the top.

To answer a couple questions,
    1) I would put a few vents in the top of the back wall, this would let some of the heat out so that it doesnt get to hot up top.

2) The idea with this sorta design is to have a Warm Top, and Cool Bottom. Rather then warm side cool side. Your CWD will regulate his body temp and bask when he wants to be warm.

3) a tank heater down lower in the cage on the walls wouldnt be a bad idea. But make sure its somewhere he cant get to it directly.

4) I bought a Repti-fogger a few weeks ago and really do like the thing alot. Im not sure how well it would do in a very large enclosure (use it in our smaller crested gecko cage) But i have seen pictures of them sorta sitting under foggers and in foggers, So its something they probably enjoy.

5) Digital Gauges are a must. The Dial gauges are really not the best of quality typically. And Temp/Humidity should be watched.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The best way to provide humidity is with a household cool-air humidifier, you can put it on a timer to run a few minutes every hour, and if you have too many vents you will lose the humidity.

5. daave220

daave220 Active Member

I still need to run numbers I'm currently going to use plexiglass for the most part. the water part is just going to be a 20long aquarium that i'll buy and build around so I dont have to worry about water breaking. According to my dad plexiglass is cheaper than even plywood. but i need to run numbers. give me a few hours i'll get back to y'all

6. daave220

daave220 Active Member

At homedepot... plywood is cheaper

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That was going to be my first comment. Plywood is much cheaper than plexiglass.
    And so is actual glass. Which I recommend that you use. Plexiglass is soft and will scratch easily, both from the dragon's activities as well as wiping the inside down.
    for the vents I would suggest a single vent in each end. Too many vents and the humidity and heat goes out.
    For large enclosures I prefer CHEs.

8. daave220

daave220 Active Member

CHEs??

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

CHEs= Ceramic heat emmiters (lamps), they only emmit heat, not light, are quite cheap and can last a few years, I believe.

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Oops! Usually the site's program automatically translates CHEs to ceramic heat emitter. but apparently the 's' on the end threw it off.
    Yes they emit only heat and no light so they can be left on all the time.
    And I have some that are at least 3 years old.
    Its what I use to heat my big iguana inclosure.

11. daave220

daave220 Active Member

I think I'm changing my design, do water dragon's submerge? If not 6" of depth of water should be ok right?

12. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

I think that they do need a bit more water than that, but I am not 100 sure...

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

a CHE will provide heat, and last YEARS! I have one that is over 5 and still running fine. Just be warned they need to be somewhere there is absolutely no chance of the dragon touching it directly - they get VERY hot. My temp gun gave me a surface reading of 520F on a running CHE.

Mega Ray makes a Heat Emitter which does not get as hot.

UTH don't provide much heat at all other than whatever surface they are on. They are not good for heating air.

a Mega Ray of the proper size (I'm going to guess 160watt sb) will provide heat and UVB for you dragon. Have you looked into those?