This Disappears When Logged In

Something Weird

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by DragonGirl9130, Feb 26, 2010.

1. DragonGirl9130

DragonGirl9130 Active Member

Draco, my now 5 year old Water Dragon, was sitting on the edge of my bed last night and right after I picked him up a large drop of water came out of his nostril- is that normal???

now a couple of seconds ago I heard this clicking noise from him, he opens his mouth and rolls his tounge back. as if he's licking???

And I think he just vomitted- Water?? thats what it looks like, maybe spit... appears to be fine for now.

He hasn't eaten for almost 2 weeks now going on 3, I thought it was because of having him switch from his old cage to his new one but 2 weeks seems a little long doesn't it??? He is getting his calcium though through the form of baby food, I mix his calcium powder in with the baby food and feed him that way maybe 2x a week he won't eat very much of it though... For a while he also stopped drinking maybe for about 4 days but today he started to do that again and he drank a lot- thats why i think he vomitted water.

and before people tell me I did take draco to a vet however my nearest herp vet is 3 hours away so me being me and not very intelligent took him to a normal vet only a half hour away. Figured this vet would be better then no vet at all. charged me nearly $60 to tell me I had a healthy lizard. the guy never even mentioned the bump on Draco's arm until I pointed it out. He offered to run some tests but i declined- I wasn't comfortable letting him run tests on Draco specially when he missed the bump- the reason I came down there in the first place.

Lets say that now once again I am completely broke, between the new cage and the vet visit I have no money and need time to save up more so I can take Draco to another vet- the right one this time...

for those who don't know Draco is a rescued CWD, I had him for 9 months now and is supposed to be 5 years old (quite frankly he looks like he's 2, we think he's stunted due to the lacking of long spikes) He is 2 feet long and I am constantly having troubles with him not eating.

His cage is 5 and a half feet high, 2 feet wide, 4 feet long.
    Temps reach 80F days (a little low but not too bad) 68F nights (too low- I know)
    Has a humidity of 50% average.
    A basking spot of 90.1F
    -yes he does have a UVB light-

The cage is not completely finished and should be done in a weeks time. (lacking doors- guessing when I get those temps. and all should rise at least bit I would think..)

Those are my facts so should I be concerned about the water spitting up or is it just something lizards do??? Came out of both nose and mouth (nose being first)
    I have not noticed any spit up since

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Re: Something Weird???

Hmmm, do you see any bubbles coming out of his nose? Do you hear wheezing when he breathes?

3. DragonGirl9130

no none of that, he did hold his mouth open for a bit but wasn't weezing or nothing.... he hasn't spit up since, i guess it just took me by surprise.

I'll be keeping a close eye on him but as far as I can tell he shows no signs that he even did it in the first place...

something else that he took up that u might know about, he has been digging at the floor lately- I have heard of females digging to lay their eggs but never a male. is that common for a male to dig??? I gave him a sand box anyway but I am positive Draco is a male.

4. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

As far as I know all cwd's like to dig

5. DragonGirl9130

found out the problem- He turned out to be a she and she just laid eggs, every things seems to be going back to normal again, Thanks!

6. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

There is a lot of that going around lately! LOL well now you know what it is. Is she eating now? Maybe bump up the calcium intake. :)

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Only the males have the long spikes ;)

Glad you figured it out. It sounds like she might have just gotten some water up her nose, and had to clear it out - so if she had been drinking, soaking, or swimming just prior to you getting her out, that might be why.

You humidity could use a bump, and your temps, but as you said, once you have the doors corrected, it should rise a bit. The more ventilation you have, the more heat and humidity are going to leak right out of your cage. If you have problems getting the right temps and humidity, find the holes at the top of your cage (start at the top and work your way down) and find ways to plug or cover them better.

Good luck - I am assuming the eggs are not fertile (your female has not had exposure to a male within the past several months?)

8. DragonGirl9130

She's eating good now and I just added baby rats to her diet, I've been trying to watch her whole prey intake but it's difficult considering my pet shops only carry crickets (Which Draco no longer eats) meal worms (she has a hard time digesting) Super worms and wax worms (She dont care for these as much.

Is it normal for a Water Dragon to be this picky with their food???

9. DragonGirl9130

And for anybody who is wondering- If ur water dragon is making that popping noise and breathing through its mouth, check its nostrals. Draco was making that popping noise daily and I was convinced she had a resp. Infection... Come to find out one of her nostrals was plugged (With sand I think) and the popping noise was the result of her trying to breathe through it but couldn't. . . So check the nostrals and keep them clean, it may help!!!

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

My CWD once had her nostrils plugged with unshed skin so bad you couldn't see them (She was a rescue).

CWD don't need rodents as anything more than an occasional treat. Have you considered breeding some of your own bugs? a lot of time you can mail-order starter kits.

And yes, CWD can get picky. If you have bait shops nearby, check them for earth worms, as those can be fed too. Sometimes Wal*mart carries them too in a cooler by the fishing tackle and sporting goods department. Gander Mountain, places that sell bait.

Any captive bred insect can be a good feeder - including all you listed above, but also cockroaches (captive bred). And many insects breed easily in just a plastic bin.

11. DragonGirl9130

Thanks!! I'll try it out and get some mail ordered in.

......How did You get ur CWD's nose unplugged?

12. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

My vet had to pick it all off with needles (the whole face was covered) once he took the mask off, she was a whole new lizard, and she could breathe.

Under normal circumstances, you should never peel skin off a reptile - if given the correct parameters, they will usually get it off themselves. Taking it off too soon can damage the skin underneath.

She had several layers (we counted at least four) coming off that had been stuck on for who knows how long. The vet was actually worried about the skin underneath beginning to necrose when he saw how thick it was. (It wasn't necrotic, thankfully).