This Disappears When Logged In

Something Weird I Noticed

Discussion in 'Milksnakes' started by MorganLeFay, Nov 25, 2014.

1. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

Since I put Lancelot's vivarium up on the wall, the temprature has decreased quite dramatically. I can't seem to find any reason for this, unless my thermometer is broken, but that's rather unlikely. The heat mat is still the same, everything is as it used to be, but the temps dropped to about 71F!!! I'm not going to brumate him this year, and right now I'm frantically searching for any kind of heating equipment that could help. A heat lamp is impossible to install with my current setup, so the only things I can think of are a larger heat mat, cable or a heat rock. But then again (and this is the weird thing) I noticed that when the temperture is lower, he sheds and eats much better than when they were higher. He shed just yesterday, a perfect, complete shed. I haven't seen one this good in months! And his appetite is as good as ever. When the temps were higher, he kept having problem sheds etc. He seems to thrive in cooler temps. Is this normal? Should I leave things as they are and just watch him closely, or should I try to increase the temperature a all costs?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What do you mean by "Since I put Lancelot's vivarium up on the wall, the temperature has decreased quite dramatically". Up on the wall how? How was it situated before?

3. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

It used to stand on my desk (by the wall). Now it's up on a shelf, only about 50cm higher. There's hardly aby difference, except it's a bit closer to the window and a bit further from the radiator, but could this really have made such a difference? I just noticed the temperature drop shortly after putting the cage up there. Or maybe there's another reason altogether?

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Feel your wall.
    I have plaster and gypsum board on a number of my walls yet and in the winter they get cold to the touch.
    It could be part of the problem as well.

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

If it's an outside wall, that's probably your problem right there. Some foam insulation between the cage and the wall may be all you need to fix the problem.

6. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

It's not an outside wall, but yeah it does feel cold to the touch. Foam insulation sounds like a great idea, I'll be sure to try it out. Thanks:)

7. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

And what about Lancelot's apparent preference for cooler temperatures? Even with the temps this low, he's not remotely interested in the heat mat and mostly stays near the cooler end, around the water bowl. Plus he sheds 1,000 Times better now. Is it at all possible that the lower temps are actually doing him good?

8. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

I'd suspect the humidity is higher, that's much more critical for shedding than temperature.