This Disappears When Logged In

Some Snakes from Arizona (pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by JoshuaJones, Nov 19, 2012.

1. JoshuaJones

JoshuaJones Banned User

Hi, guys. I'm a noob to this forum, but I've got some field herping photos that I thought some of you might enjoy. I've only been seriously field herping for a few years now, although I've been informally herping for more than twenty. This year, I actually started taking photos of my finds, rather than let my brother handle the documentation process. I mainly photograph crotes, but I've got some other snakes that I'll toss in, as well.

I'll start with the most common snake that I encounter, the Western Diamondback rattlesnake (Crotalus atrox).

100_0719.jpg

100_0706.jpg

101_0043.jpg

WesternDiamondbackRattlesnake-1.jpg

I see mohaves (Crotalus scutulatus scutulatus) pretty often, as well. I only photographed one, this year, because he was found in a location where they were thought to have been extirpated.

100_0712.jpg

My first crote of the year was a new subspecies for me. I'm used to cercobombus, so finding the Colorado desert subspecies was a pleasant surprise.

Crotalus cerastes latereropens

ColoradoDesertSidewinder.jpg

My favorite crote has to be the Arizona black.

Crotalus cerberus

ArizonaBlackRattlesnake.jpg

ArizonaBlackRattlesnake-1.jpg

Tigers come in a close second.

Crotalus tigris

100_0573.jpg

100_0589.jpg

100_0617.jpg

100_0614.jpg

100_1383.jpg

100_1412.jpg

100_1419.jpg

Saw some nice specks this year, too.

Crotalus mitchelli pyrrhus

SouthwesternSpeckledRattlesnake.jpg

SouthwesternSpeckledRattlesnake-3.jpg

SouthwesternSpeckledRattlesnake-1.jpg

101_0136.jpg

Of course, when you're out looking for cerbs, specks, and tigers, some of these guys are just bound to pop up.

Crotalus molossus molossus

firstmolossusof2012.jpg

NorthernBlacktailRattlesnake-2-1.jpg

101_0004.jpg

NorthernBlacktailRattlesnake-2.jpg

NorthernBlacktailRattlesnake.jpg

This year I went down to the Sky Islands, to look for some of the montanes. We found all three species that can be found there. The only subspecies that we missed was the New Mexico Ridgenose rattlesnake (Crotalus willardi obscurus.)
    We did, however, find the Arizona subspecies.

Crotalus willardi willardi

ArizonaRidgenoseRattlesnake-6.jpg

ArizonaRidgenoseRattlesnake-3-1.jpg

We managed to find some Twin-spotted rattlesnakes, too.

Crotalus pricei pricei

Twin-SpottedRattlesnake-4.jpg

Twin-SpottedRattlesnake.jpg

Twin-SpottedRattlesnake-3.jpg

My favorite, though, by far, was the Banded Rock rattlesnake.

Crotalus lepidus klauberi

BandedRockRattlesnake-3-1.jpg

BandedRockRattlesnake-7.jpg

That's it for my crotes. I saw C. ruber, this year, but I completely forgot to snap some photos. Oh well. The other photos make up for the loss, and I can get some photos next spring, anyway.

Just to add some color, I'll toss in some of the prettier colubrids I've seen this year.

Arizona Mountain kingsnake (Lampropeltis pyromelana)

ArizonaMountainKingsnake.jpg

California kingsnake (Lampropeltis getula californiae)

100_9889.jpg

Regal Ringneck snake (Diadophis punctatus regalis)

RegalRingneckSnake-2.jpg

Sonoran gophersnake (Pituophis catenifer affinis)

100_9794.jpg

Sonoran lyresnake (Trimorphodon lambda)

100_1217.jpg

Boidae was there, as well.

Desert Rosy boa (Lichanura trivigata gracia)

100_9910.jpg

DesertRosyBoa.jpg

As was Elapidae.

Arizona coralsnake (Micruroides euryxanthus)

ArizonaCoralsnake.jpg

And, since everyone seems to like gilas, I'll post my favorite one from this year.

Banded Gila monster (Heloderma suspectum cinctum)

101_0120.jpg

GilaMonster.jpg

I think that's enough herps for now. Just to give you a feel for where I herp, (and because I love landscape photography.lol) I'll toss in some shots of the habitat that I've searched, this year.

100_1016.jpg

100_1012.jpg

100_1010.jpg

101_0167.jpg

101_0145.jpg

100_0320.jpg

100_0263-1.jpg

100_0415-1.jpg

100_0439-1.jpg

DSCF1495.jpg

DSCF1339.jpg

That ought to do, for now. Happy herping, guys. Thanks for looking.

Attached Files:

2. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Thanks for sharing the photos, very nice!

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

So do you live in northern Arizona? Where I am there is not greenery and all the snakes I find are western diamonds or sidewinders. No Gilas either. Maybe I should look in new areas.

4. justor

justor Elite Member

Awesome pictures! I should go out more often lol, I honestly didn't know there were that many different kinds of rattlesnakes in Arizona.

5. JoshuaJones

JoshuaJones Banned User

Thanks for the kind comments, guys.

I live in central AZ. East Mesa. It's in the Northern Sonoran desert. But I travel the state to find the animals that I'm seeking. If you want to see some gilas, torts, some different crotes, be sure to hit me up when it starts warming up again. I'm always up for herping with new people. :)

A tip on finding something besides winders and atrox: Torts, gilas, and some of the really pretty rattlesnakes prefer rocky mountainous areas. Try walking rocky washes at night.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  6. JoshuaJones

JoshuaJones Banned User

Sorry, Justor. I was just outside, having a cigarette, when it occurred to me that I hadn't addressed your comment. There are actually many more AZ buzztails that I haven't seen this year. Arizona's rattlesnake count goes something like this:

Western Diamondback
    Mohave
    Colorado Desert sidewinder
    Sonoran Desert sidewinder
    Mohave Desert sidewinder
    Arizona Black
    Tiger
    Southwestern Speckled
    Northern Blacktail
    Green Prairie
    Hopi (Scientists say this isn't a valid subspecies of prairie, but when you see them in real life, they're very different.)
    Great Basin
    Grand Canyon
    Midget Faded
    Arizona Ridgenose
    New Mexico Ridgenose
    Twin Spotted
    Banded Rock
    Massasauga

13 species, 19 different subspecies, in total. If you want to see rattlesnakes, Arizona is the place to do it. :)

7. justor

justor Elite Member

Wow, that's awesome. I probably wouldn't even be able to identify most of them haha.

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I can't. I know the diamond backs because of their pattern and if their is another snake that has similar pattern then that is considered a diamond back as well :p and side wonders from their movement and tracks anything else astounds me...now lizards on the other hand those I can mostly identify.
    Josh the only torts I have seen are the ones in my yard or the empty shells but I stay in lowlands generally so I might just try closer to the hills for some live ones thanks!

Ps. Watch the date on threads you reply too if they are older some members might not be active anymore.

9. JoshuaJones

JoshuaJones Banned User

That's cool. Just thought I'd offer. I'm assuming, based on your average finds, that you live in the lowland desertscrub environment West of Phoenix. Based on your last comment, I'd wager that a lot of your diamondbacks might be mohaves. I get out that way a lot during the summer. I know places out there where you can, at least, find some specks, blacktails, boas, and torts. I'll offer again when we get to know each other a little better. I understand the apprehension many people feel about meeting new people that they met online.

I was going to mention one of the conservation groups in which I participate, in order to better explain where I'm coming from, but I'm not sure if that is a faux pas around here.

Either way, I'm appreciative of your responses (and guidance) and I hope my advice helps. Once I get to know you a little better, I may decide to just send you the location of some good spots closer to you. I like to see cool photos of AZ herps almost as much as I like to see the classic, "lifer grin." :)

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Close but I am further south in glorious Yuma, home of the old folks! My sister lives in Mesa though. And occasionally I get up there to visit her.
    And no faux pas mention away! Everyone likes hearing about different groups and their goals.

11. JoshuaJones

JoshuaJones Banned User

Right on. Same habitat, wrong locality. :D

Still on the West side, though.;) You're actually pretty close to the prettiest specks in the state. The white ones.

The organization that I belong to is the North American Field Herping Association (NAFHA.) We're a group of citizen scientists that provide data for educational, scientific, and/or government organizations, in order to better protect the herps that we all have a passion for. We maintain a database that can be found at naherp.com. If you would like to view our forums, they may be found at fieldherpforum.com. Two of our members (at least) live down your way. You might benefit from checking our forums out. The AZ chapter has some of the best herpers in the country. Some of them are the people who write the field guides most AZ herpers use.

12. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Hey I have an app for that!!!

13. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

Dude, those are some amazing pictures!!

14. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Outstanding :) I need to get out there and visit my Dad but also to get some pics of Spiny lizards :p You have some great shots there :)

15. JoshuaJones

JoshuaJones Banned User

Thanks, JF.

As I've stated, I'm not much of a lizard guy. That being said, I do still have a pic or two of some spiny lizards running around. ;)

(Sceloporus magister)

DSCF1309.jpg

DSCF1189.jpg

Attached Files:

16. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Drool :)

Nice pics