This Disappears When Logged In

Some of my Giant African Land Snails.

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by royalbabylover, Aug 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. royalbabylover

royalbabylover Elite Member

In the garden.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The top snail is about 21cm in shell length and 26cm in foot length.
    The other two are just babies but are still 15cm shell length.

RBL

2. nicole

nicole Elite Member

interesting!

3. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

My bluey's are licking their chops, i think that might be a little much for them though!

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Cool looking critters!
    I beleive they are illegal to have in this country.

LOL Lacey! I think that they just might be a bit much even for a bluey!

5. nicole

nicole Elite Member

why would they be illegal here? Sorry dont know much about snails except for the aquatic kind, lol

6. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

wow those are awesome! thanks for sharing. :)

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Nichole it is one of those "potential to be a hazardous invasive species" things. It is my understanding that they even pose a health hazard for humans

8. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Yeah, they can eat and breed like crazy and the US doesn't want them becoming a pest to crops and such. I suppose in the big picture it's for the best, because I'm sure some irresponsible owners would eventually make that situation reality, but that doesn't stop me wishing I could have some ;) I love GALS!

...and Giant African Land Snails too ;)

9. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

wow. those are really neat.

10. royalbabylover

Yes I think they are illegal in the US.

The species I have aren't as prolific as the common Fulica but they do grow a good bit bigger.

They do carry salmonella the same as all reps and amphibs and cholonia. We jsut use a sanitising hand wash as we so with the reps and amphibs.

RBL

11. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

Very cool!! The kids and I are very impressed!

12. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Just to clarify though, not ALL herps and GALS carry salmonella, they simply carry the potential to have it. It's kind of like the myth that all wild raccoons are born with rabies :rolleyes: And also, Chelonia (turtles) are reptiles ;) Just bein' educational!

13. royalbabylover

Yes I should have said 'potential' and I know chelonia are reps.

If the potential is there then we should take care that we prevent the spread and use a hand wash that eliminates the risk whether we are dealing with animals who have or may have the bacteria.

I use the hand wash as two of my snails are WC and one of my snakes is CF'd.

Although I used it even before I bought them as I don't want to spread anything between my pets and I have quite a few different species.

14. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That was the first time I have ever seen these types of snails, so thanks for sharing. I myself am not so much into the invertebrate thing, but boy those things certainly do look interesting. lol

15. royalbabylover

Thanks,

I have eggs from the two big Marginata 'if' they hatch I will put pics on to show how small they are when hatchlings.
    They're shells have lovely markings when babies but it dulls as they mature.

RBL

16. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Dont they reproduce asexuly?

17. royalbabylover

They are not hermiphrodite(sp) so therefore don't reproduce asexually.

You need two snails to reproduce but when they mate both have the propensity to lay eggs.
    I can't remember what this is called but it's not true hermiphrodite.

18. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

A hermaphrodite simply has both male and female sex organs, so technically your snails could be hermaphrodites. Basically they each have male and female sex organs, but they cannot fertilize themselves (which would be asexual reproduction). It means a snail simply has to find another snail to reproduce, regardless of sex. One plays the male and the other the female. It beats allogamy (what we do), because any other snail will do, they don't have to search for a specific sex. It beats autogamy (self-fertilization) because you still get the genetic diversity from combining two individual's DNA.

Now some hermaphrodites ARE capable of self-fertilization, but will still prefer sexual reproduction (who doesn't?) because it allows for greater genetic diversity. Whether there are more detailed terms that differentiate these two types of hermaphrodites, I'm not sure, but there probably are. If you're thinking of parthenogenesis though, that's something else entirely.

19. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

My brother had a few of those...they would eat whole heads of lettuce at a time! And bred like crazy! He had to turn them in to destroy them though. It's a hefty fine to get caught with them.... They are illegal here...

20. royalbabylover

Well that is way over my head:)

Jem_scout,

Your brothers wouldn't have been the species I have as mine are species that only lay a few eggs at a time. I know that Archachatina Fullica will lay 100's of eggs every three weeks.
    People over here can't give fulica away!!!!
    I have 7 of them as well but I will dispose of their eggs if they lay.
    A lot of people feed the baby snails to tortoises as they like to eat them apparently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.