This Disappears When Logged In

So My Iguana Is Addicted To Emeraid....

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Ktgrandchamp, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Ktgrandchamp

Ktgrandchamp Member

My juvenile blue iguana Loki has been on emeraid (a calcium phosphorous supplement prescribed by his vet) for a good two to three months now and will still not eat his salad. He has no problem however eating his emeraid with no forcing whatsoever. The last few days I've been shoving small pieces of collards in his mouth which he at least eats and does not spit out. What should I do to get him to just eat his salad instead of the medicine? How should I wean him off the emeraid?

2. FervidBrutality

FervidBrutality Elite Member

That's an interesting scenario. Some animals are "intelligent" enough to prefer some foods over others. I'm no expert, but you may be able to lessen the amount you provide over a period of time; mix in less and less over the course of a week or two - kinda like how you transition a cat from one food to another. Try not to force-feed. He may take it, but that doesn't mean it isn't causing stress.

Also, talk to your vet if you haven't already.

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

I know nothing about this product, is it a powder or liquid? Either way you could chop the salad fine and mix the stuff into it, that way he can't get one without the other.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Tell us exactly how you are housing it. Sometimes a minor little thing can change the entire game.
    What was the iguana being treated for?

5. Ktgrandchamp

Ktgrandchamp Member

He was in the early stages of mbd when we got him and probably hadn't eaten for a good two months. The emeraid is a powder which is mixed with water to form an almost pasty liquid. It is then administered by itself through a soft tipped syringe. Initially we had to force his mouth open (with a rubber spatula under advisement of the vet) and stick the syringe in to feed him. Now after you put a drop on his nose he licks it out of the syringe by himself. We've discovered he loves raspberries and mango so that has helped him to finally start eating salad too. I just bury the mango and raspberries under his collards so he has to eat the greens too. He is doing much better and has almost completed his first full shed under our care. We think he's finally turning around as his worms appear to be gone as well. So fingers crossed hopefully he's on the right track. Also we replaced the substrate before i posted this that was an older picture. He is now on outdoor carpet in a 55 gallon terrarium. A friend of ours is in the process of building him his own mansion: 4.5'x4.5'x2.5' box with a wire mesh fro image.jpeg nt so he can grow and be even more comfortable.

6. Merlin

Instead of wire mesh I would advise a solid glass or plexiglass front door. This will work wonders in controlling heat and humidity. And in a large cage that can be a challenge.

Darkbird likes this.
  7. Darkbird

2 things, and I say this for the future health of the lizard. Get rid of the mesh front and use glass, or at least plex, otherwise you'll have huge issues controlling temps and humidity. And second, that cage size will not hold an adult, so be prepared to replace it in the future. Glad to hear that the diet issues are starting to come around though.

Edit: Lol, Merlin beat me to it, I type too slow.

8. Ktgrandchamp

Ktgrandchamp Member

The rest of the tank is solid finished wood so only the front of the cage will be wire mesh. Extra measures have already been taken into account to keep the heat and humidity in. And I know he's not going to fit in it forever but at least for now since he's only 7 inches maximum head to vent probably 18 inches total length it will help him grow. Ovbiously I wouldn't put an adult iguana in a tank made for a juvenile

9. Merlin

There are no "measures" that will keep the heat and humidity in the cage. A mesh door will have you essentially attempting to heat and humidify the entire room to tropical conditions. Because all your heat and humidity will be exiting out into the room.

10. Ktgrandchamp

Ktgrandchamp Member

His new tank will not be in for the next month. He is currently in a 55 gallon tank with a 4 food reptisun 5.0 uvb light as well as a 150 watt heat lamp for the daytime and at night has an infrared 150 watt night heat lamp. His substrate is outdoor carpeting and he has a large pool in the tank as well image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

11. Darkbird

Well then your builder has time to change the front of the cage to glass. Otherwise you will be spending a lot more time, energy, and even electricity to keep the conditions right in the cage. I'll use the current tank as an example. All your heat and humidity are rising out of that mesh as fast as it is produced. Simply putting sheet plastic over the mesh will help to contain much of the lost energy, maybe even allowing for the use of lower wattage basking bulbs which will save energy. It will be the same if the front of the new cage is mesh, everything will go out into the room until the room is the same humidity and temperature as the cage. Yes you can use a big water bowl, and even set up a misting system. But you'll still be putting a bunch more into the process than is needed. Too much ventilation is a problem we see all too often in this hobby, and we're just trying to help you avoid future issues.
    A couple more suggestions on the current cage. Your ig needs to have a temperature gradient from one end of the cage to the other, so it would be a good idea to move the basking lights to one end of the cage or the other. I would also try and get it something better to climb and bask on than those plastic plants. A nice sturdy branch from outside would be a good choice, and should be free.

12. Ktgrandchamp

Ktgrandchamp Member

This is the other owner of Loki. We have thought of all these measures. We had a real tree in there for a lil tell it died. Waiting for the snow to go away to get free drift wood. As for basking he has his high heat basking on one side and a 4foot sunlight over the whole tank. One side is in high 90 seen it in100 and other side is 70 to 85... As for the front door of mesh maybe I'll do the wire mesh on inside so he can climb it. And do plexy glass over the front so humity can't escape. We plan on having a bigger pool and a water fall going for moisture and have another sun lamp coming in for bottom half the tank . As for he adult iguana he's young I know this is not for a adult iguana but that's why as he is young I'm giving him room to be happy and grow.