This Disappears When Logged In

So I Found This Turtle...

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by TurtleNerd, Mar 24, 2015.

1. TurtleNerd

TurtleNerd Member

Okay so it wasn't even me who found this turtle it was my neighbor. She found it in the road and thought "Hey, you know who loves turtles? Madison." So she takes it to me and I'm taken completely by surprise. Work starts in fifteen minutes and it takes fifteen minutes to drive there. I gotta go. What do I do with this turtle? I don't know?

My mom was convinced throwing him in with my turtle is a great idea and after a quick fifteen second inspection considering size, gender, health, and OH MY GOD IM GOING TO BE LATE JUST THROW HIM IN.

Flash forward about seven hours later, I'm back from work. The new guy looks just fine. They aren't aggressive or territorial and they bask on top of each other its adorable. Also my little brother has grown quite fond of the little guy.

Things wrong with keeping him:

At nine years old, Ryan cannot make this kind of commitment to an animal. Given, I was nine when I got my turtle and that went fine. Not to mention I'll be his primary caregiver should he get bored.

If he's wild, he could have a shorter lifespan or get my turtle sick.

I only have a fifty five gallon tank for the two (5 inches each)

Things Right With Keeping Him:

The boys are getting along so well so far.

Ryan would be so happy

If he's domestic, he might not survive more than a few months outside.

-------------------

I know you're supposed to quarantine them but I skipped that part because I'm impatient. I could throw him in the bath tub for a week or two I guess if I'm a terrible person for skipping that step.

Yes I am aware turtles live a very very long time. I'm already taking care of one already, what's one more.

Yes I am aware that keeping a wild caught turtle will limit their lifespan. If it is likely he is wild, I will let him loose. (There's a pond with turtles right down the street.)

-----------------------

What I'm Wondering:

What Kind of turtle is he? I live in Georgia. If he's wild he must be common in ponds or creeks in the south east. If he's domestic, he's probably a very common pet turtle.

How old is he? Can you tell just from the pictures? Any guesses?

Would they do alright in the 55 gallon? I know its a little cramped but I'll get them a new space once I get the money.

--------------------------

Possibly helpful information:

He doesn't appear to be very scared of my presence. Could this mean he's domestic or is it just a self defense mechanism?

He hasn't eaten yet (I offered some veggies and he's only been in a couple hours)

There are so many turtles in that pond down the street. (RES and the sort)I don't doubt he could come from there.

(I'll add pictures here in just a moment)

2. SnakesNCakes

SnakesNCakes Established Member

I would let him go. Its a risk for the one you have and if hes wild he should be outside roaming the lands and swimming the ponds.

TamJam likes this.
  3. TurtleNerd

TurtleNerd Member

Hey wow that was fast.

Thanks for being my voice of reason dude.

The thing is though that I'm not so sure he is a wild turtle. If I find that he probably is I definitely will.

4. TurtleNerd

TurtleNerd Member

turtle.jpg

He looks really similar to my YBS but his shell is smoother and his eyes are greener and he seems more brown than yellow.

5. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

There are usually laws against collecting wild turtles. You could be in violation of your states laws, I would do a quick google search to see if you are even allowed to keep a wild specimen.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  6. uvreptilenh

uvreptilenh Well-Known Member

Aside from habitat loss, interruption of migration routes due to roadway construction, and motor-vehicle deaths... removal from the wild for pets is a HUGE problem for wild turtles.
    You can generally find information on what species of turtles are native through your Fish & Game/Wildlife department's website - a simple Google search for "Turtles native to *insert state here*" usually pulls up some pretty good results.
    If it's a native species PLEASE put the turtle back. By being removed from the wild your neighbor and you have now potentially removed multiple generations of this turtle from it's habitat as every individual counts in their survival and native turtle populations are drastically declining in many states. On top of it, you potentially have just committed a crime punishable by fines for doing so.

7. TurtleNerd

TurtleNerd Member

it may be a domestic

8. TurtleNerd

TurtleNerd Member

see? doomestic tootle

Attached Files:

9. SnakesNCakes

I would let it go my man

10. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Since the original poster can't seem to keep it clean, they are removed.

12. SnakesNCakes

What happened?

13. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Hopefully, the turtle was returned to a wildlife rescue center, where its fate will be sensibly decided by caring and responsible people.

14. SnakesNCakes

Yes, hopefully!
    What did original poster do to get removed?!

15. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Said something offensive, rude and/or unnecessary, I would guess. Why can't people just be civil?

16. SnakesNCakes

People will be people I guess :/ they hear something they don't like and just can't bite their tongue.

17. Merlin

This went far beyond just not biting their tongue. Apparently they thought they could go off on someone and say just whatever they pleased.

They were mistaken

SnakesNCakes likes this.
  18. SnakesNCakes

Man how did I miss all that

19. Merlin

Thats because we work very hard at making sure such things do not stay on the site. No one needs to see bad mannered temper tantrums. Or SPAM.
    There are a lot of things that go on behind the scenes.

20. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

He was removed based on a post that was removed from the members view. He dropped the "f-bomb, a racial slur and some other adjectives that simply won't be tolerated on this site. Sav and Merlin were on top of things and he is gone.

TamJam and SnakesNCakes like this.