This Disappears When Logged In

So I Bought a Chondro

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by TJOHNSON722, Apr 11, 2014.

1. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Hey everyone. Long time no see. I've been so amazingly busy. I quit the jail, now a stay at home mom and crazy what all there is to do. Animals I still have are great. I have 2 corn snakes still little. I also have one adult carpet python.

Anyhow, I so just bought a chondro. He is 8 months old. Beginning the color change. He arrives Tuesday morning. He was a impulse buy. I know better but hey anyways.

I already bought a rubber maid tote that opens in front. The medium size, it's all black for added security. One thing I can't figure out is where do I put the lights? And what type of heat is best for these?? I don't want him to get burnt. I have no idea. Any help would be appreciated. Not new to snakes obviously but new to chondros. Ahhh.

Attached Files:

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Well a small low profile LED would probably work fine for lighting and then a small heat panel on a thermostat maybe? or are you looking to use lights for heating?

3. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Either but I'm not a fan of under tank heating. Especially since I had one burn up. Led lights would work though? That makes it simpler.

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

LED work for lighting only. They wont give off enough heat to bask. And I was thinking more of a radiant heat panel mounted to the top of the container.
    JoeyG swears by the Radiant Heat Panels and uses them on all his chondros I think.

5. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Hmm

I have some thinking to do. I may cut a hole in the top and use heat lighting and mesh just glued to the top. I like to stick to things I know. I know how those work. I'll post pictures when I'm done with the enclosure.

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

True but the problem with lighting is it dries out the enclosure faster. Especially with the added ventilation. I think this is why Joey uses the heat panels but I could be wrong. I personally havent used them before but I was debating on getting one for my cwd since they are supposed to be more efficient and cost less to run.

7. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I would have to order it on though my problem is the chondro is coming Tuesday. I would have to order the heat panel in. With an adult enclosure I will probably but not with the intermediate enclosure. As of now my options are limited.

8. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

Where do I get such a tote????

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

10. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Use an uth on top. Size depends on size of enclosure. It doesn't really need to be regulated because the animal doesn't rest on it like say a bp. Also a little one on the bottom to help humidity, just on a timer. Babies need high humidity and are less capable of handling huge changes. Tia is right about the lights, it'll dry the enclosure up quickly

11. EriksExotics

12. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Joey what brand do you recommend the size of the tote is 19.5 x 17.5 x 15.1 so maybe a medium? I have 3" and 11 " heat tape also if that helps. I also have an extra thermostat so that's no big deal. I planned on putting the probe on the perch itself. We got an LED lighting, pic piping, and some stuff we need to fabricate water dishes that hang in the air too.

13. EriksExotics

11" heat tape + thermo would probably work well

14. JoeyG

You use 3" on the small tub all depends how big your tubs will be and ambient temp in room where it will kept

15. EriksExotics

Looks like OP said 19.5 x 17.5 x 15.1
    Would 3" or 11" be more sufficient and would you put it on the top or back of the enclosure?

16. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

The room is kept at about 70 degrees year round. I'm doing a dry run today. I'll give it 12 hours to see if the 3" heat tape will work. If not I'll try the 11" heat tape. Then if all else fails I know I can always use a under tank heater. Thanks for your help guys.

17. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I'm going to start a thread on the build. I haven't seen much in terms of these types of cages. Good news is it will only take one night to finish. That way people can get ideas.

18. kjm

kjm Member

Congrats on the new pickup!! Good luck to you.

19. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Thanks I'm sure I'll have a color changing thread too. Lol.

20. JoeyG

I hope you know you can't stop with one ;-)