This Disappears When Logged In

So Happy I Found This Forum!

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Sjshephard, Apr 30, 2013.

1. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

YAY!!! I almost wonder if roaches of some type aren't a natural diet item for BD's in the wild. I tried to research it but couldn't find much about it. And just from my own curiosity do they seem like (what most people think of) as roaches? To me they seem more like a beetle.

If you need help setting up a Dubia colony, just give a holler. In the long run they are alot cheaper then crickets

2. Sjshephard

Sjshephard Active Member

They aren't nearly as disgusting as I was expecting. HOWEVER, they are small. We will see if I feel the same way when the 20 adult males and females show up on my doorstep!

3. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Small nymphs are tiny, The adults are larger - I will tell you this if I had roaches that size loose in my house I believe I would freak out.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The greens don't freeze well and tend to turn into slimy slop when defrosted.
    And the romaine is really just taking up space that could be used for something more nutritious.

5. herpgirl250

herpgirl250 Elite Member

You will be surprised how fast babies go through them. The adults are gross I just try not to look at them. The worst is when they crawl up your hand you get used to it.

6. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

They don't bother me oddly and I hate anything crawling on me. I am so weird!! Want to hear something funny though? I have terrified to handle Superworms

7. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Not to derail the thread, but I think you need to enact some tough love. I would start by weening the animal off them by simply providing less collards. Try adding curly endive and escarole (the darker the leaf the better) to the mix to see if he will pick up on them. You can also try using ground Mazuri tortoise pellets, which many animals go nuts for. These pellets contain an excellent calcium to phosphorous ratio and a very good amount of fiber. You can either sprinkle it on fresh salads or provide it in it's own dish.

8. herpgirl250

herpgirl250 Elite Member

Not to keep it derailed but how long should I let him go without eating I have made it a week but always give in this includes no feeders. I did try repti cal pellets he would not touch them. I will pick up some mazuri title pellets I tried mazuri pellets last year he would not touch them I cannot remember if they were tortoise. Endive and escarole have both been ignored.i will take your advice and get as dark a leaf as possible maybe it will trick him. Is it ok to go longer than a week without eating ?

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  9. herpgirl250

herpgirl250 Elite Member

Now those are pretty gross I just got 500 in the mail and you could hear them crawling around in the newspaper.

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

EEEEEEKKKKK!!!! Roaches! I dont mind the babies but the adults creep me out majorly. And yes the full grown adults remind me of the house roaches that invade my home regularly. I think my lizards are freaked out by them as well. I emptied harley's cage and left him in it to eat any of the escaped bugs and he ignored the crickets, ravenously ate the worms, and ran from the roaches. Tai just watches them and doesnt bother trying to eat them at all.
    I have no issue with sperworms though and that seems to be all anything will eat. Turtles and lizards would all rather eat the superworms than anything else.

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

PS. I personally always offer collard greens daily. For variety I switch between: mustard, kale, all lettuces except iceburg, and escarole. Then I put different herbs in it usually basil, cilantro, or mint-very little of this though.
    I offer bell pepper (red or orange as I dont want too much green in the salads), yams, and I switch out the different types of squashes though yellow squash and zuchini appear more often. Rarely I give tomatoes, carrots, apples, and grapes (these are mainly offered only when they are starting t go bad and I have no plans to cook them). I try to do the veggies daily but sometimes I am too lazy to chop and grate for several hours.
    Also I found that the greens last longer when I put them in a large bowl with a dry towel on the bottom and no lid. Moisture seems to make the greens rot faster.

Of course I have ALOT of herbivourous bottomless pits so I try to keep cheap produce but still healthy items on hand at all times and I go veggie shopping once a week it seems.

12. herpgirl250

herpgirl250 Elite Member

Lol that is so funny. I was trying to cull my males I offered them to Rosie he just closed his eyes I could tell they freaked him out and he wanted me to go away. I gave them to my skink.

13. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I try to give them to my male box turtle as he will eat them but they usually just end up drowning in the box turtle pond or the cwd pond. I never know who eats what.

14. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

LOL LOL LOL I don't have a dragon one who won't eat roaches. And the turtles will eat dead ones (go figure) Spaz is terrified of crickets, Newb and Spaz hate Superworms, Everyone likes wax worms, silk worms and horn worms though

15. Sjshephard

Sjshephard Active Member

Another observation today...Yoshi has a "pot belly" now. YAY! I feel confident that with the help of all my new forum friends, Yoshi is on his way to optimal health and wellness. MANY THANKS to you all!

16. Sjshephard

Sjshephard Active Member

And now today...sheets of skin from an overnight shed. Awesome!

17. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Nice! Glad he is doing well for you!

18. Sjshephard

Sjshephard Active Member

The adult roaches were more than I expected. i don't know if I can do this!! :-&

19. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

You dont know if you can handle feeding roaches? They are creepy arent they? But eventually you will learn to tolerate them. It helps if you develop a system where you don't have to touch the roaches. I like paper towel rolls as I can just pick on up and shake it into a cage. But this only works if your lizard is big enough for all sizes of roaches.