This Disappears When Logged In

So Excited.

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by TJOHNSON722, Apr 27, 2014.

1. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

So my pink toe tarantula has molted. I suspected she was in pre molt for a long time. She wasn't eating and was on the ground floor. I woke up yesterday and found 2 spiders in her cage. Lol. I was literally smiling ear to ear.

Since this is my first spider, I was a proud mom.

Here is Charlottes fresh molt pictures. She is amazingly larger. Noticeably I think.

Attached Files:

2. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Good news, she has eaten and is back to her normal self. Took a little bit for her fangs to harden up, but she took a cricket last night and is out on top of her enclosure again.

You guys seriously need to check these animals out. Wicked cool. This arachnid thread is dead basically. Lol.

3. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Glad to hear she made it through the molt! I'm not a T person, tried it and regret every moment of it. A friend of mine has some type of tarantula that I will occasionally handle, she is actually pretty gentle and easy going.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

My wife would kill me if I brought home a T!

5. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Haha. My husband about did kill me. We're used to it now though. Interesting to watch the process though.

6. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

I'm a chicken when it comes to spiders...... ever since I was a child and saw what a brown recluse did to my uncle's leg (left a soft ball sized hole in his leg), not to sound mean but between me and spiders.... it's a holocaust! Lol

7. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Haha. Yeah where I live (ohio) we don't have brown recluse or black widows. We have wolf spiders but they are not venomous. So I've never had a bad encounter. Spiders eat bugs, therefore at my house we like spiders.

I also like bats because they eat mosquitoes. I don't like to spray any chemicals around my house so natural circle of life it is. I'm in this natural kick. You know save the planet and all.

8. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Not to mention I'm a nerd so watching the process of molting and webs and just in general is what attracted me to reptiles and arachnids. Shedding, molting, feeding, how the snakes bottom jaw comes apart for feeding, it's all very interesting to me.

9. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

I mean don't get me wrong if there is a spider around me I will run...... screaming of course (not literally) lol..... but if it close enough to get me it's dead lol, I know they keep bugs away and are good.for.the world but seeing that is enough to tramatize and person and give a bad representation of spiders..... and you are wrong about wolf spiders... every spider is venomous, just a wolf spider's venom is no worse.then a bee sting to a human..... they are capable of butting but only if threatened.......and I LOVE bats too! I love.sitting in my yard and watching them fly around..... I have my son's doing it now....lol

10. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Yeah. I've never had a bad encounter with spiders or I would probably be like that too. We actually will feed the wolf spiders with left overs from charlotte sometimes. They are big. Same ones every year are around here. I used to be petrified of them, but as I got older not so much.

I seen Charlotte at my reptile shop around here. It's not a pet smart but a local pet shop. They have a lot more leeway in how they are kept. The manager is a big herp keeper so they are very well taken care of. Anyways, i held her once and since hren i figured i would leave her alone. I put her directly into a container while I'm cleaning her cage out which isn't too often. Especially since a huge Web is on the substrate from her molt. I'm going to have to figure out how i can clean the cage without disturbing the web.

11. mshrmheadcharge

We have tons of wolf spiders around here, in fact Aurora adores them. But she likes all bugs, except stink bugs. I've never had a problem with them being aggressive or biting.
    We don't mind the spiders, it's the ants and stink bugs I want to destroy.

12. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I really hate stink bugs. They are everywhere. Literally.

13. mshrmheadcharge

I have been vacuuming up 8-10 of them a day. It's ridiculous. Last year they destroyed our whole peach orchard! Well, my landlords. But we eat those peaches! They even devoured our csa 's peaches and apples! They were getting to my tomatoes as well. Ohhh I hate them.

14. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I'm going to make one of those stink bug traps. They are attracted to light like most bugs, we will see how that goes.

I use seven or sevin dust or used to for my garden. It works really good. We now only do tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini so we really don't need it now, but it works really good at deterring them.

15. mshrmheadcharge

Yeah, my landlord uses the seven dust especially for the squash vine borers. I prefer diatomaceous earth though. I'm thinking this year I'll avoid the vine borers by wrapping the ends of the stalks in foil. Have you ever tried that? I prefer to keep it organic in my garden, we have a lot of toads and frogs and amphibians that can be affected by pesticide run off. Not to mention aurora digs in that dirt as do the dogs.