This Disappears When Logged In

Snout Has Turned Grey and Blue??

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by littlemowgli, Oct 29, 2010.

1. littlemowgli

littlemowgli Member

I have had my pet Chinese Water Dragon, Mowgli, for a little over a month and he has been doing well his setup is:

50 gallon tank (he is 16 in. long)
    100w uva light
    26w uvb light
    hiding rock with a small heating pad underneath the tank
    perching log in the middle
    water dish where he can soak his body on the cool end
    and im misting the cage about every 2-3 hours.

I feed him everyday at about 12:30. He usually eats about 6-10 crickets. I have also been feeding him mealworms on occasion and about one or two red worms if he will eat them.

on average i would say his tank is mid 70's at night and mid 80's during the day

Lately he has started to develope a band of blueish silverish skales on above his mouth and the top of his nose is turning grey.?

i put a picture up so you can look at it. i just dont know if thats normal. it seems that i read something about it somewhere but i cant fine it again.

other than that he has been staying in his rock more but when he isnt in his rock he wants to be out of his cage. i do make sure he basks for at least a hour after he eats and when he is out its only for 30 minutes to a hour (he comes out maybe 3 or 4 times a day)

Attached Files:

2. SteveWD

SteveWD Elite Member

Im thinking maybe a its about to start shedding. i could be wrong only had mine for a month. do u have 3 sides of ur enclosure covered up? do u ever see him rubbing his nose on glass?

3. littlemowgli

littlemowgli Member

i was thinking the same but he just shed around his lips and i have some paper around the glass so he isnt rubbing his nose (but he does have a tiny bit of damage on his nose because the last owner didnt have one side of the glass covered)

i cover 3/4th of the cage at night with a warm damp towel to keep in moisture while im sleeping but during the day i just have a wire top covering the cage.

4. Goodkat

Goodkat Member

50 gallons is a suitable size only for a baby imo :). If he's trying to get out it means the tank isn't quite big enough, I would work on a larger enclosure. As for the actual coloration...that's an odd sort of shed if that's what it is. I would recommend a quick trip to the vet if it persists more than a couple weeks. I would give it at least that much time just in case it's just a bunch of dead/dying skin. But as I mentioned before....if the tank is too small, he's going to rub his snout on things regardless of whether there is paper hiding the glass.

5. littlemowgli

littlemowgli Member

alright. i plan on building the tank higher once i get some money saved up. right now and in the morning times he is a darker color. i think maybe its getting to cold a night? i need to get a night heat lamp for him.

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Here is the sites care sheet on chinese water dragons, maybe you should read up a bit on them. There should be a member who is more experienced with them who could let you know what you should do.
    Water Dragon Care Guide (Physignathus cocincinus)

7. HydroDragon

HydroDragon Elite Member

Definatly starting to shed his nose. CWD typically shed in sections... Head, feet, spikes, tail. that sorta thing.

Just make sure your temp's and humidity are where they need to be. You can also give him a warm bath to help loosen up the shed. It will typically take a couple days for him to shed completely. Hydro had one foot that took a week to shed at one time.

50 gal. is definatly to small. But someone else mentioned he was trying to get out because its to small. Thats not the case, CWD's simply dont understand glass. Hydro is in a 3'x2'x5' setup and he still nose bumps and rubs and hes been in the same home for about a year now and his cage has never been to small for him.

8. littlemowgli

littlemowgli Member

alright thanks for all your help. i have done tons of research on them but im a first time owner so i always like to double check on things like this.

9. cslammon

cslammon Elite Member

Shed indeed, up the humidity if possible, and like hyrdo said give him warm baths. There are ointments for rough sheds, though I can't remember the name. Also, move your water dish to the warm side. Keeps the water warm, and also provides more humidity