This Disappears When Logged In

Snakes That Do Well In An 18x18x18 Enclosure?

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by giveuptheghost, Jul 18, 2018.

1. giveuptheghost

giveuptheghost Established Member

I have an 18x18x18 Exo Terra and have tried to keep dart frogs in tropical vivarium set up for awhile, with limited success. Mostly, I just can't seem to keep tropical plants alive to save my life. So I've rehomed the frogs to someone who has a more established set up and a greener thumb than me.

But I still have this tank and it needs a new resident. I'm in no rush though, so just brainstorming at this point. I am not particularly interested in having lizards or geckos and am not interested in other frogs as I live in an apartment and though I personally wouldn't mind some evening croaking from a darling milk frog, my neighbors probably wouldn't agree. So I am pretty set on snakes, which are my favorite anyway. That said, I don't think the 18x18x18 set up will be big enough for an adult snake of any sort, but perhaps I'm mistaken.

Option 1 is a baby Green Tree Python, with the expectation that it will need to be upgraded in two years or so, possibly sooner. The pothos (my only successful plant, relatively speaking) could stay in and I can use fake plants otherwise for it.

Option 2 is that I try my hand at a desert setup and maybe a rosy boa or Kenyan sand boa. Both of these stay small enough that they could probably be in the 18x18x18 for quite awhile. That said, it's not ideal because there's so much vertical space in the enclosure that will go unused. If there are any other desert/arid snakes that maybe might make a bit more use of the vertical space, I am open to suggestions.

If all else fails, I can always sell the Exo Terra and buy a different cage, but if I can find away to make do with what I have, that is preferable. Like I said, just brainstorming at this point anyway.

So any thoughts?

2. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

I'd just swap the exo terra for a 75 gallon tank, or similar size enclosure, that would give you many more options. Even a 40 breeder would be enough for a corn, king, or milk snake as an adult.

3. giveuptheghost

giveuptheghost Established Member

If I swap the Exo Terra, it will just be for something with slightly more ground space and less height. I don't have the space for a 40 breeder, and certainly not for a 75. I am well aware that the bigger the better.

4. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

From what I've heard the exo terra doesn't hold humidity very well, and the screen will rust. Not a good choice for housing a GTP, which will eventually outgrow it in any case. A rosy boa would actually climb if provided with the opportunity, they aren't as ground-oriented as sand boas.