This Disappears When Logged In

Snakes Terrariums And Bone Decoration

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by SeeMoore, Jan 29, 2018.

1. SeeMoore

SeeMoore New Member

I have a California King that is about 10 months old. I recently got a larger terrarium to put him in so I started looking for more decorations so that it doesn't seem so empty.
    I found a deer skull in my shed that I forgot that I had with fully intact antlers and I would like to use it.
    I know that I need to make sure it is thoroughly clean before putting it in, but my question is this:

Is it dangerous to have a skull in your snakes terrarium if it has somewhat sharp edges? The left side of the face of the skull is broken off and the intricate flake-like bones of the deer's face are showing, they aren't very sharp but there are some thinner flake-like bones and some pointy-er edges on them, as well as some burrs at the base of the antlers.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If it's really sharp I would be hesitant to use it. You could always sand the sharp areas down.

Darkbird likes this.
  3. iRene

iRene Elite Member

The sharp edges can be dulled. Even if you sanitize it well it will need to be sanitized every time the cage is cleaned. Bone is porous and will hold all kinds of bacteria from waste.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Just sand or grind away any sharp edges, that shouldn't detract from the appearance of the skull too much and it will be a lot safer for the snake. You may want to consider opening up the brain cavity to the point that the snake can be removed if it decides to cram itself in there, also make sure any other openings it can get it's head into is large enough for it to pass through. I had one idiot ball python that decided to stick his head through a vent hole that a loose feeder had chewed on, and he got some pretty bad scrapes, plus I had to cut the tub off him. As for sanitizing, I wouldn't worry about it too much. After the first time your not really going to be introducing anything new to the environment, so just keeping it clean should be enough.