This Disappears When Logged In

Snakes for Pets?

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by dragodragon262, Apr 4, 2014.

1. dragodragon262

dragodragon262 Well-Known Member

I'm more of a lizard kind of person as i can not feed mice or rodents no matter the size even if its dead. I just cant. Any snakes that dont eat any mammals, and are not expensive and fairly easy to care for? I never owned a snake before. They seem cool just the mammal thing is REALLY holding me back! ( I am going to be starting a fish breeding tank to feed them to my chinese water dragon as he gets bigger.) SO any snake that eats rosy reds would be fine too. Again i can not strees enough EASY TO CARE FOR and NO MAMMALS. (i like mammals).

2. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

Unfortunately a diet of rodents is most nutritious pretty much for all captive snakes. You could go with garter snakes, they can be fed fish, insects and earthworms, etc., although a mouse diet is still preferable as it's more nutritionally complete. And don't feed rosy reds as they contain an enzyme that inhibits vit.B absorption which could cause life-threatening vitamin deficiency in reptiles. Guppies or platies are much safer to use. It should be said, though, that a fish-based diet is far more likely to cause serious parasite infections that may be very hard to treat. What you want may be difficult to pull off, but you can always try. In your case I'd definitely recommend a garter snake. Or something like a Texas Blind Snake (eats ant and termite larvae), if they're at all possible to get, lol. Are you sure you couldn't handle a frozen-thawed rodent? It's really not so bad once you actually do it.

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

well what about a snake thats not a snake?
    You could do a legless lizard. They live on a variety of bugs and dont need rodents. everyone would still think it was a snake.

4. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

yeah its not hard to get used to feeding rodents to them, I never though I could feed them to anything but when I had my leo, I got used to feeding it the occasional pinky.....

5. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

King snakes, garter snakes, hognoses... Surprised no one has suggested those yet :p

King snakes will eat other snakes including venomous and non venomous species and will also feed on lizards, mammals, bird eggs, etc.

Garter snakes will eat frogs, fish, certain insects (Insects alone probably wouldn't make a healthy diet, though).

Hognoses will often take frogs however, I don't know a ton about them or their diets so I couldn't tell you exactly what they can feed on.

6. EriksExotics

This.

My first snake was a garter snake and I unknowingly fed it fish that contained an enzyme called Thiaminase. After a few weeks of eating those fish, my Garter snake had died. I was devastated but I learned from it and I committed to doing everything right and researching and preparing before I got any pets. If you get a garter snake, PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU FEED THEM.

7. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

any pet that you decide you want to get please do your research a few months to a year before you get it.....

8. dragodragon262

dragodragon262 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone i may look into the legless lizard thing. I just never have seen them sold not a t pet shops nor expos. I will keep researching and im not sure that a snale is for me. I understand they should really be fed mice and i just cant do it ! LOL! Apparently my CWD when he gets older may need the occasional pinkey in which case my dad will be feeding that. But to buy my OWn pet and relying on my dad to feed it would not really be the best option for the "Sake of the snake". THANK YOU ALL FOR THE REPLIES!

9. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

What about snakes that eat lizards? look at green vine snakes. I don't have any experience with them, but i was looking into them for a little while.

10. EriksExotics

I understand where you're coming from! I'm an animal lover and it was pretty hard to feed my snakes rodents at first but they have to eat, ya know? I got over it pretty quickly. Feeding F/T definitely makes it easier.

11. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

I mean the most trouble you will have feeding frozen thawed is freezing them yourself if you plan to breed your own rodents, but most pet stores already sell frozen rodents

12. ReptiGeek

ReptiGeek Member

Im a person that highly recommends rats as pets. But truthfully Ive never had a problem feeding them to my snakes.
    Back to the topic. Ive seen a few legless lizards (Sheltopusiks) come into the pet store I used to work at but you'll mostly find them at expos. I think their mostly imported and not bred very often.

13. Khorne

Khorne Well-Known Member

Circle of life and all that aside, a snakes gotta eat ya know? Feeding frozen mice and knowing that they are just lab grown (They lived and died for this reason alone) makes it easier. Plus, if it makes you feel any better, you can think of it as a heroic sacrifice to please the snake gods. Definitely makes it feel way cooler.

14. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

Lol, that's a nice way of looking at it:)