This Disappears When Logged In

Snake Won't Eat. Help!

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by Kingsav603, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Kingsav603

Kingsav603 New Member

Alright guys. About a month ago I got a female Common KingSnake. She's about 3 feet long. And in a 25 gallon tank. With shavings as the bottom. This is my first snake. When I put her in he separate tote to feed her she seems scared of the rat. I've downsized the rat multiple times and she still seems scared. I'm starting to get worried. She isn't getting ready to shed cause she just came out of shed about a week ago. Please somebody help. It's been about a month since she has eaten.

2. blubudgie

blubudgie New Member

I'm still new to snake keeping, I got my BP yesterday. But I think a month is a long time to go without food, considering I plan to feed mine every week. Have you checked her tank conditions? Temp, Humidity, Noise? Maybe she is stressed from that? Have you tried different kinds of food? Frozen, Live, Pre-killed, cut open, Mice? If the rat is dead maybe you can leave it with her for a while and leave her alone.
    I hope someone more experienced than me can help you :(

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

We need more details. What are the temperatures in the tank? And how are you measuring them? How big of a rat are you trying to feed it?

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

And where did the snake come from, and what was the previous owner feeding it?

5. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

...and, please get rid of the "shavings" - whatever they are. Cedar is toxic, pine is also, though less so than cedar. NO wood shavings please. They can get respiratory infections from the dust in any case, toxic or not. Newspaper is better.

All the other advice is good so please answer the questions!

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Tammy, aspen shavings are frequently used as snake bedding. It's fine.

7. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

All right then! I stand corrected. The only wood shavings I can get here are pine or cedar so I was thinking "inside the box" as a Tropical Alien. Sorry!

- - - Updated - - -

This is very important!

8. avagaddis

avagaddis Well-Known Member

Is the rat frozen-thawed, or pre-killed? If not then do not offer live food to your snake at all. By freezing the food it kills harmful bacterias and germs. Plus your snake may never have had live food and it may be frightened by it. Also try a mouse instead of a rat as the rats tend to be much larger. A good rule is to only feed your snake food that is equal of size or smaller than the largest area of width of your snakes body. Also, your snake may just be moody, my kingsnake occasionally stops eating for a while and then continues later

9. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

I agree that you need to give more details. There may be many reasons for her hunger strike, including too low temperatures, oversized prey items (or ones that she was not previously used to), stress, or even health issues. A full grown rat is definitely too large for her, so I'd try offering an adult frozen/thawed mouse once every 10 days or so. Make sure the mouse is properly warmed up. Generally, you should offer prey items that are as wide as the widest part of the snake (excluding the head). If the rats that you offered her were alive, then it's quite possible that she perceived them as predators rather than prey (especially if she was never fed live before). A month is not normally dangerous (most snakes can go without food very long with no ill effects), but if you notice that she's losing too much weight and starts looking emaciated, you should get her to a vet asap, as it could indicate more serious health problems. Most likely, though, it has something to do with improper husbandry, or she's simply gone off food for a while (it's quite common), in which case she should start eating on her own quite soon.