This Disappears When Logged In

Snake Tooth Shedding

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Dragoness, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

well, this morning, I checked on everyone, and noticed a shed tooth sticking out of V's mouth (he's a large male boa) I collected it, and decided I wanted to know more about snake tooth shedding. I don't know much about it other than that it happens. In my perusing, I came across this article, which was a very interesting read.

SNAKES SWALLOWING THEIR OWN TEETH - PAPER.

Though there is no data on boas in this article, I'm now tempted to look for myself, and see how many teeth I might find. What a shame, I just cleaned some pretty big turds out of my big girl boas cage yesterday that would have been a great place to start, lol.

Anyone else wanna check their snakes poop for teeth? Or am I the only one crazy enough to do it? We could all compare notes...

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Jen, I`ve collected a number of teeth from my monitors over the years but never thought about keeping most of them (I do still have a few from my late V. ornatus).
    As a matter of interest one of the co authors of the article lived a few km from my family in Oz (Doncaster where he lived is around 5km from Nunawading, both suburbs of Melbourne), though in many quarters R. Hoser is NOT well regarded (shhh)! ;)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  3. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Why would a snake's tooth make it all the way through the digestive system intact when the entire skeletons of their prey animals are digested? I've never tried mining snake poop for rodent bones, but I really don't think there would be any found...

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, the teeth would take many years to digest even with the strongest stomach acids, instead they pass through quickly undigested (to put it extremely simply)! ;)

5. scoot

scoot Active Member

Huh, so it's kind of what puppies go through when teething. They just wind up swallowing their baby teeth. It happens to people too, I know I've swallowed a few loose teeth when they fell out in my sleep.

*shudder* Doesn't seem like a fun thing for a snake to go through.