This Disappears When Logged In

Snake Shaming

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by Dragoness, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

27785222662_3517bbd040_k.jpg

I guess 5 years is long enough for a little complacency.

I know she just ate recently, and then promptly went into shed.

Went in to check on everyone, and she was laying on her side, looking bloated and lumpy, and very still. I couldn't even see the motion that you usually see when they breathe. When I tapped the glass, she didn't move, not even a tongue flicker, and I began to worry. Opened the sliding door, and she was still unresponsive. Usually at least turns her head, or flicks her tongue when her door is opened.

Poked her, to make sure she wasn't dead (paranoid, I know)

BAM.

Darkbird likes this.
  2. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Snake looks completely unrepentant to me, guess she figures you deserved it, lol. My female thayeri bites me just about every time I pick her up unless I give her food first. If she has a mouthful of rat pink, no problem, otherwise she latches onto a finger and won't let go until I run cold water over her for at least 30 seconds. The male, same size/age, etc. is no problem to pick up. Oddly though, he's afraid of rat pinks, and will run away from a f/t, yet happily chows down a live fuzzy ot even small hopper mouse. The female takes anything offered.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Akasha is a garbage can. Once in a while, if someone refuses food, I give her hoppers just to see what she does with them.

I kinda did deserve it. If someone poked me when I was bloated (post-meal) and miserably sunburned (impending shed) I would probably bite them, too.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Got to love how they can sometimes fool us. Had a female spider spook me without the bite the same way, loosly coiled, partially on her side, and with her head laid back on her coils upside down like she had laid back in a chaise lounge or something. Was sure she had croaked, but she woke up as soon as the cage opened, giving me a look as if to say "Well, what?". Need to see if I can find the pic I took.
    Edit: found it, now if it will just load.
    20130414_142756.jpg

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    UJRA and Qwerty3159 like this.
  5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

That would have worried me, too!

Akasha's skin did come off the night she pegged me. Was fresh in her cage next morning.