This Disappears When Logged In

snake pulling funny faces -dasypeltis scabra

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by caudalis_sa, Sep 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

well found this cool dasypeltis scabra - common egg eater/egg eating snake. They do a crazy quite scary defence display...all bark and no bite tho, they have virtually no teeth haha. The coil and rub their keeled scales against eachother creating a hissing sounf like an adder( Bitis sp. ). They mock strike with their mouths wide open showing the black lining...it is scary and funny at the same time.... check out the funny face pulling. This big girl is not happy in this pic, shame. Will try get some bird eggs to show you it feeding...i have never witnessed it in "real life" so I am keen to photograph it. will try get eggs as soon as possible...birds look out...he he he[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

thats really neat!

3. The D

The D Mango Empress

how cool!

4. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

The Display works, I wouldn't mess with him.

Gopher Snakes do something similar with the rubbing scales and open moth, but they have relatively small mouths so it's not very impressive.

5. barnkat

barnkat Elite Member

very cool and very impressive!

6. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

wow thats so weird looking! thanks for sharing! :)

7. Palaeomike

Palaeomike Elite Member

Nice shots. Can't wait for the egg-feeding pics! If you can get a video of it, that would be great (that is, if you can even load a video onto the site).

8. venus

venus Founding Member

I love the last pic. It looks like he is laughing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.