This Disappears When Logged In

Snake Making Hissing and Gagging Sounds...,

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by thead11, Mar 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thead11

thead11 Elite Member

Hey guys. I know I haven't posted in a long while.
    But I have a serious question. A couple of minutes ago, I started hearing a very strange sound. I thought that it was one of my cats trying to hack up a hairball. It turned out to be Jasmine, my almost 6 ft. Colombian boa. She had her mouth stretched wide open, and would make a hissing noise, then a gagging noise. She did it at least 5 times and then stopped. Her body was very rigid and one part was flattened. She then moved a bit and made a few small hissing sounds.
    Was she trying to regurge??? She was fed on Monday so it has almost been a week.
    Is there something more serious that could be wrong with her?
    Please, any help that you guys can give would be much appreciated. I need something asap so I can take her to the vet if needed.
    Thanks,
    Tessa

OH! She was also very aggressive after we fed her last. She struck at my boyfriend as he was trying to get her out of the tub. She has never been the least bit aggressive, which leads me to think that something may be wrong.

2. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

I would think that since her behavior is different that something may be wrong and it's vet time. But I don't have experience with those snakes, it's just what I think would be a good idea. What you describe would be a scary enough scene to make me want to get it checked out though.

Hope everything's okay.

3. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Hey Tessa long time no post,lol. I would get to the vet also. I hope everything turns out okay! Good luck.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It sounds very much like she was trying to regurgitate. Was the food bigger than usual or have temperatures dropped or something upset her?

5. thead11

thead11 Elite Member

Her food was normal. and her tank temps are normal. The weather has been wacky though. We went from 65-70 degrees to in the 40s. So should I just watch her? She hasn't regurged yet and she's due for another feeding this week. I guess I'll let her calm down this week and try next week. Thanks guys.

6. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

It also sounds to me like she was trying to vomit. I would keep an eye on the temps, maybe bump them up a bit, and skip the feeding this week. Keep her supplied with plenty of fresh water and don't disturb her.
    Maybe it's just a one-off, so I would just watch and wait a bit. If it happens again, make a vet appointment.

7. thead11

thead11 Elite Member

thanks guys for your help.
    she just really scared me and i wasn't sure what was going on.
    I do have one more question though.

Should I be worried if she is still aggressive when we feed her next? Is it possible that she is "in the mood" so to speak?

thanks.

-Tessa

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would suspect that she was still in hunting mode.
    Just be aware of the possibilty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.