This Disappears When Logged In

Snake Kit: Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by fleagirl, Oct 9, 2014.

1. fleagirl

fleagirl Member

So I have been mulling over what snake I want to get as my first snake and after reading and watching youtube videos, as well as the overwhelming response on the two reptile forums that I joined (you guys are awesomesauce) I have decided to go with a corn snake.

My local pet store has this Zoo Med kit here. It seems like a pretty good deal but I do not know much about Zoo Med as far as the quality of their stuff goes. Also is that going to be too big of a tank for a baby snake? I think it will be fine when it's older but I read that too big a tank can stress a snake out.

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Looks like it has everything you need.
    As long as you can get it for a decent cost.
    Usually they give you a deal on a setup like that over buying things separately.
    The 100 watt bulb might be a little strong though.

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

It would work, but it has some things that are junk and is missing a couple things I personally consider a necessity. Things I don't like: the analog thermometer / hygrometers are pretty much garbage, those half log hides are too open with having both ends cut out like that, that bulb is probably serious overkill for a setup that size. If you had a tank already, you could make your own lid, and get most of the rest of what you need at a hardware store. If you don't have the tools to make a lid from plywood or something, you could still get a screen lid, or buy the bare cage and the UTH, and go from there. And the main thing they don't include in these kits which drives me crazy, is a thermostat for those under tank heaters. Without one, they will have serious potential to burn your snake, and I don't trust the dimmers they put inline in the cords. Never had one yet that worked worth a darn. I think you could spend the same amount or slightly more and have a much better setup, but it's up to you. And I'm not entirely knocking ZooMed either, just not a fan of these kits.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I am not a big fan of the kits either. Too much stuff that you will not need and some of what you will need is substandard.
    All you really need is a tank, a top a heat mat/thermostat and thermometer, as well as various things to use for hides.
    The problem people get into with baby snakes in large enclosures is they keep things too bare with too much exposed area. As long as there is plenty of cover the snake will do fine. Consider that they did not evolve in a box.
    Oh and you have to be VERY careful about what you see in videos. A lot of it is junk put out by people who have no idea what they are doing.

5. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Nay. Those kits are mostly useless. As is most pet store stuff. I havent bought reptile supplies from a pet store in years. All their products are either overpriced, an inferior product to something else on the market, or both.

6. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Nay :) useless stuff usually