This Disappears When Logged In

Snake Bite

Discussion in 'Reticulated Pythons' started by Hkg, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

Okay. So i know I'm gonna sound like a wimp and a bad snake owner but here it goes, I did what I tell other people not todo and that's get in over their head. I took in a dwarf retic that's 8' and 3 years old. He was soooo tame for the first couple weeks. I took him to the vet and they said all was good. So I took him home. The next day I reached in and pulled him out ad he was a little ****ed off but I didn't think much of it I fed him and he was still ****ed but I managed to get him back in the cage (I'm gonna start feeding in the cage.) I left him alone for a week as it was slightly to large of a meal and he was ****ed off. So after he pooped twice we tried handling him. We put him in the bathtub to give him a bath and my dad reached in and got bit. And there's no way he could have been taken out with out being bit again. He's been like that for two weeks now. I scheduled another vet appointment as isaw bubbles in his mouth (ri) but I can't get him out of the cage. If I did it wouldn't be safe to ride in a truck with him for half an hour then take him into a public place. So they suggested giving him a round Of medication. I know how to give shots as a boa I trie to rescue needed shots. The problem is, is I've never been bit by a snake, and I don't want to! I know is sound like a wimp but I can't bring myself to stick my hand in a cage and for sure get but then pull him out and risk having my face bit. The vet wants me to leave him alone for a couple days as they think he's in shed (he's not). But what shoul I do? I will for sure give him shots but how can I do it with out being tagged? I have a snake hook but he hates it. I tried training him with it but he just gets ****ed off.
  2. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I suggest you rehome the animal and have your dad help you
    ughjames likes this.
  3. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

There are ways to protest yourself from the obvious bite. However much of the problem is your fear. It's cliché I know but they can feel the apprehension and skittishness thus making them feel the same.

If you can't get over the problem between you and the snake it will erode your ability with others as well. Rehoming it may be your best choice.
  4. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

As for the hook training, you need to be more patient. Of course he's ****ed off if you're waving a nasty piece of metal in front of his nose, but with time he will get used to it and respond like you want him to. Reptiles are not dogs, and you need to be prepared for a) getting bit (which is pretty unavoidable when you own reptiles, and really not as bad as some people make it out to be) and b) not getting immediate results. Perseverance pays off, impatience ruins the whole experience. So take a deep breath, keep doing the hook training as often as you can, resolve the IR issue and if you really think that you can't handle him, then yeah, rehoming is a good option. Good luck, I hope everything works out well for both of you :)