This Disappears When Logged In

Snake Bite

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by BallPython, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BallPython

BallPython Member

LOL i just got bit by my snake, probably because I sliced my finger a couple of hours before handling him. I did disinfect my hands before handling just in case, but it was kinda cool to see how he eats and attacks up and personal. A lot of people freak out when their snake bites them when honestly, you just need to relax. It will eventually let go realizing its not gaining anything.... I just thought I'd share that with you all. lol

2. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

I myself have been bitten by a few snakes and it's a shock at first but the more you fight it the more it hangs on so thats what I did, just started to relax and it let go. It is an interesting experience.

But it does depend on how big and what kind of snake! lol :)

3. barnkat

barnkat Elite Member

My oldest daughter has been bitten a lot, because she has to eat a very protein heavy diet due to some health issues and one of her favorite breakfasts was hamburgers. The snakes could smell it from her body. She didn't have many issues about being bitten, kinda got used to it until she realized if she put rubbing alcohol or vinegar on her hands first she would get bit as often. Some of her professors though had some real problems with panicking about the bites. She would just look at them and say "I live on a farm, and mom always says if your going to mess with ANY type of animal be prepared to get bit occaisionally." I was bitten by one of my ewes (female sheep) this year during lambing season, and that was worse that any snake bite I've ever had, the finger nail is still growing wrong! Just make sure you clean up really well. We've had a few lizard bites here that needed a lot of cleaning.

4. kcftlaud08

kcftlaud08 Elite Member

O.K. Now I feel like a scaredy cat! I want to know how big your snakes are when they bit that I should follow the "just relax" and "interesting experience" theory! :) Roxy is a big girl. 7 1/2 feet. So far, I haven't had that experience but I don't see me being the calmer of the two should the day come.

5. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I've been bitten once by my ball. I believe it was due to my conditioning of her.
    I've had my ball for over a year now. 99% of the time I only handle her on feeding days.
    On feeding day, I take her out and let her move around on my hands and arms. I do this for 30 Mins or so. Then I put her in an empty tank to feed her and give her a FK rat that is still warm.

The day I got bit is when i took my animal out on a non feeding day. I took her out and handled her on a nonfeeding day just to clean the cage. I put her back in her enclosure.
    I was looking everything over when I noticed something needed to still be moved. When I put my hand back in, I was bitten.
    It was pure conditioning, Once a week she would get handled and then fed.
    The day I handle but don't feed her, then stick my hand back in, I then get bit.:)

I've since started cleaning the snake cages while they're feeding in their feeding tanks.

6. zaroba

zaroba Elite Member

Lol, and people say that feeding in separate tanks doesn't make them associate hands with food. You still gotta touch the snake to take it out and if its the only time its done, then it can still associate your hand or being removed from the cage with food.

I've gotten nipped a few times by the snakes and lizards I've owned over the years. The snakes never actually held on. They'd strike and let go right away, sometimes leaving a small scratch that would have blood come to the surface. Sometimes it would be around feeding time, they'd strike at my hand as I was putting a mouse in the cage. Other times it was when I would have them out and something (like my dog or a cat) would scare them, then they'd start striking at any movement they saw.
    The lizards would often hold on for a few seconds, but none have broken threw the skin yet.

It's startling at first. The first few times it happened I would react to it, but now it doesn't even phase me.

7. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

I've only been bitten by a couple corns about 5 feet long, a few kings and only once by my Rosy boa who is only maybe 2 1/2 feet long. It's an interesting experience because it's more of a shock because you're not expecting it and to me it wasn't that painful. The only evidence was little pinpricks.

That's why I said it depends on the size of the snake, larger ones can do some damage. But I have never had that experience since I've rarely handled anything larger than that. :)

8. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

I think the most painful snake bite I ever recieved was actualy from a rather small Amazon tree Boa on my middle finger, the bite that hurt the least was from a full grown Blood Python that latched onto my forearm.

I personaly think size does'nt always have everything to do with it.
    Though very large boids probaly pack the worst punch.

9. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

Yeah...size! Well except for venomous.....

Try a wild 9ft African rock haha... That was my worst, not painful but got me in a vein. It did not stop bleeding! It was spurting out lol. But in all seriousness non-venomous/ virtually non-venomous snake bites do not count as bites in my opinion, if you were avoiding a bite then maybe but if you knew there was a possibility of a bite and you took the chance with a harmless snake it is fine. If those counted I would be one sad person hahaha... could not count them!!

Oh and I am proud to say I have not been tagged :D and plan to keep it that way!

10. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

I think I'd definitly take a African Rock bite over a gaboon bite any day of the week. :p

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Uh........ YEAH!

12. kcftlaud08

kcftlaud08 Elite Member

I'm not looking forward to any of it. Roxy is "uber" mellow though. I take her out once a week, depending upon shedding issues, for about an hour. We walk a 1/2 block and then I just let her explore the yard. If I am remotely skittish, I won't do it. But I have a feel for her temperament now and know her habits. I still don't see be being calm. I see me shrieking and crying like a toddler! Yelping would be involved, too! :)

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It is usually not as bad as you would think, rare situations like being nailed in the face or tearing a vein aside.
    Its more surprise than anything.
    I got hit by a big retic on my hand and while there was a little bruising and some blood it really wan't a big deal. Of course it was one of those bite and release things.
    A feeding strike where they bite, hold on, and coil on you, is a bit more traumatic!

14. barnkat

barnkat Elite Member

Yep. My older daughter's bite was the clamp down and hold on type. Her hand was bruised badly for a few weeks, but it's happened more than once. Everything here from 2 foot cornsnake and baby ball to 4 foot adult balls and 8 foot jungle-carpet diamond and 8 foot boa. I still think the iguana bite and the savannah bite were worse. lol

15. kcftlaud08

kcftlaud08 Elite Member

Well, as far as conditioning, I handel Roxy pretty often. I try to at least pet her and talk to her for 10 minutes a day and she gets to go out to walk with me and play in the front yard for 1/2-1 hour on the weekends. I figure her cage is pretty boring. So, she doesn't really associate my hand with food. But you guys are killing me. :) I AM a scaredy-cat! LOL

16. metylvamp

metylvamp Elite Member

My mom once got bitten by my 6'3" jungle carpet and that was definitely not a strike and release. She (the snake) struck when my mom was feeding her, while holding the mouse(she has since started using the tongs) by the tail. Brat didn't want to let go because if she did, she thought she'd lose the mouse. she wrapped around my mom's hand and held on for about 10 minutes before I could get there and unwrap her. It was the 6th mouse(she usually eats 8 or 9 a week).

17. untsmurf

untsmurf Elite Member

Why don't you try feeding something larger and more nutritious. That way it's better for your snakes stress level and your mom's hand.

18. Charlie

Charlie Member

With all the bites you all have had, have you ever had a snake turn from docile to aggressive after one bite. We can't seem to calm our ball python after he bit my daughter. Any insight, I posted on the intro page as well. Thanks for any help.
    Cats

19. metylvamp

metylvamp Elite Member

Actually, at the time of my post, brat(the jc) refused to take anything other than mice.

20. raechael

raechael Elite Member

today I got my first bite! :D I am normally very attentive of my snake when I am taking him out. Although today I was rushed and had too many things on my mind and was a little abrupt when I went in to grab him and move him to his feeding box...and he just coiled back and struck...it didn't hurt but it was a good reminder to not be so rushed when I am taking care of him. After he bit me I just reached back in and was petting his back and then I gently picked him up and let him climb around on me and he was fine. I think he was just trying to tell me to pay attention to him... Lesson learned :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.