This Disappears When Logged In

Snails

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by tink, Dec 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tink

tink Elite Member

Anyone have pet snails?

What kind?

And what's your setup?

And... why? Are they interesting?

2. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I need to start breeding snails...but they will only be pets until they become blue tongued skink snacks....

3. Brittone05

Brittone05 Elite Member

Heeehawww - I have snails!!

I have got 3 Giant African Land Snails. They are in a plastic fish tank type tub with soil substrate and some plantpots and cuttlefish. They are all about 4 inches shell length now and their 'feet' are massive.

I keep them because they remind me of when we were kids and my brother brought one home from a local pet show. We called him Gilbert and he was great. They don't really do much but my little girl loves them and takes them out for their shells to be washed once a week - I'm sure she thinks she is a star of Shark's Tale (in the whale wash!). they eat cucumber and leaves and a wole host of veggies so I usually give them all the bits that the BD's can't eat (and the ig when we had him).

Here is a pic of the 3 of them, Itchy, Scratchy and Spiral.
    [​IMG]

4. Fran

Fran Veteran Member

Do slugs in the back yard count? No? Oh well then I suppose not. The closest would be when we would go to one of the lakes to net guppies and mollies to feed our oscar and sometimes for the garters. The common red and also the spiral snails always ended up as dessert for the oscar.:eek:

5. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I'm afraid I have no snails. I'd love a GALS (giant African land snail), but they're illegal in the U.S. Some in the U.K. keep them though. I do have a giant leopard slug though (Limax maximus).

6. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

there was a newspaper article about GALS recently. Saying how they are taking over and gonna rule us all one day because they breed like rabbits on steroids and destroy native plant life. If i had to take a wild guess i'd say my state bans them too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.