This Disappears When Logged In

Snails

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by Buggy0123, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Buggy0123

Buggy0123 Established Member

I was wondering if anyone knew anything keeping snails as pets in the USA. I've found that the giant African land snails are illegal and a few other types. Even the ones that I've found that are legal, there are no breeders within the USA that ship them. The only breeder I've found is Snails In The Mail and the least you can buy is 10 snails.

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I cultivate snails in my backyard as seasonal foodstuffs. I eat them, but I imagine they are edible for herps, and they are cute (make good pets)

The species is Cepaea nemoralis. They are a non-native, but have been established in my area since the 1800's.

That said, I know of no breeders, and the snails I have in my yard are essentially wild populations that I encourage to inhabit my area. They are quite adorable.

Darkbird likes this.
  3. billrogers

billrogers Established Member

How do you prepare them to eat?

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I keep them indoors in a jar for a week, feeding them damp cornmeal, to clear their digestive tracks of any potentially toxic things they may have eaten (common nightshade is a common sight in my yard) They are safe to eat when the poop starts coming out the color of cornmeal.

Then use them in any escargot recipe.

Learned it from some Italian friends out in the country.