This Disappears When Logged In

Snails!!!

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by AjaMichelle, Sep 4, 2012.

1. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I was checking out some tilapia at a local international market and found frozen snails. The ingredients read as consisting of only boiled apple snails and I was thinking that they might be a cool treat. They're from Thailand.

However, I am well aware of the fact that all ingredients don't need to be displayed on the package and therefore feeding frozen sea food presents a risk for feeding phosphates. What do you guys think? :)

They're super high in iron and calcium too.

8AFAEAE1-E59F-4F60-957E-201176CB18AB-3705-000003004A395A65.jpg

I also want to start breeding tilapia so my little lady might have access to that too! :)

Attached Files:

2. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

45mg of sodium. Are they salt water snails? The salt would worry me, maybe as a treat here and there. I"ll let the experts answer :)

Thats a lot of iron, maybe I should have ate snails when my iron levels where very low lol!

3. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Lol! I was thinking the same thing about the iron! :)

I just assumed they were freshwater because the apple snails I've seen have all been freshwater.

The 45mg of sodium didn't seem like a lot. But I'm not the best judge of that kind of thing. :) Do you think it's a lot?

4. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

"Under ideal conditions, the minimum sodium requirement is about 1,500 milligrams (mg) of sodium each day. This is less than 1 teaspoon of table salt"
    I think McD's frys have 1 table spoon of salt per fry! lol

Of course that is for humans, so 43mg isn't that bad of course one snail will have around 5mg of sodium. I wonder what Shrimp has. I bet it's a lot more. I also wonder if sodium is required for monitors.

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Aja, there`s been so much talk about not feeding certain items because they contain things that if fed as a staple might have negative effects on health (true). The talk of organic foods only (where in the wild do they get those), never feed the yolk of eggs (when it`s actually the white`s that contain avidin), and they would have to be fed almost exclusively anyway to cause harm.
    I think if you feed as a treat they would be fine, if my V. salvator would take them I`d offer some. I`ve never heard of salwater Apple snails either? You can always try and find out how much sodium some of the African snails contain.... ;)

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The foods that they get in the wild would be organic!:p

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Not in the farmlands and many other parts of the bush where pesticides are commonly used!

8. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

There are organic pesticides as well. First one that comes to mind for me is tobacco water.

9. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I'm thinking that they should be raw.

10. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

"Organic Pesticides"? Isn't that an Oxymoron? Just asking.

11. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I need to be educated about how many "Farms" there are on the African Savannah! An area that dries up for an entire season every year.

12. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

This is essentially what I was thinking. Maybe there's someone in the market I can speak to who can give me more information. Your salvator won't take snails?

You're thinking the snails should be fed raw, or instead of these, I should find some raw ones? :)
    "Cooked before serve" doesn't really tell me anything does it? lol :) I'm guessing that means they're lightly boiled and I should cook them before serving them?

"Organic pesticides" just refers to whether or not a compound is found naturally, or chemically synthesized, and to what ends it's applied. For example, tobacco water is produced by boiled the tobacco and retrieving a sort of tea, then applied to produce for it's inherent insecticidal properties. Tobacco is poisonous to many insects without being synthetically altered. Hence it's an "organic" (natural) pesticide.

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Well if you look in Daniel Bennetts book on the species you`ll see his study took place in part on farmlands. And it doesn`t dry up for 8 months of the year throughout their range, neither are they wholly inactive that length of time in many parts.