This Disappears When Logged In

smaller boa/pythin

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by eper-ani, Nov 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eper-ani

eper-ani Elite Member

Hey everyone. I'm new to this side of the forums and I have a question if anyone here can help me.

I want a python OR a boa that does not get too large. The only thing i was able to think of was a ball python. Are their any other pythons or boas that reach roughly the size of a ball python or smaller??
    I was going to post the boa thing in the boa section but i thought that would be useless since its the same question.

If anyone could help, thanks

2. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Rosy boas, rubber boas, and maybe kenyan sand boas, I don't know much about those though. There are others too, but those are the ones that came to mind. Balls are probably your best route, simply cause they're so readily available as CBs and there's so much info available on them. Rosies are one of my faves though. Rubbers are cool too, and are very similar to the rosies, but I don't really know if they're even available as pets.

3. BOA68

BOA68 Member

Although ball pythons are recommended for beginners and people who want a python that stays small i wouldn't recommened it. I have one and he was my first snake. He is now 5 years old and has been nothing but a pain in the butt for 5 years. lol They have many problems some of which include shedding problems and feeding problems. If you are willing to learn about them and deal with some of these problems they are extremely easy to keep. Very low maintanence. There aren't many other boas or pythons that stay small like balls, and the ones that do can get pretty expensive. I don't know if you have any snakes already, but i would recommend a corn snake. They stay fairly small and there are several color morphs to choose from.

Although rosies, rubbers, and sand boas are all in the boa family, i find them fairly odd snakes and would not consider them if i was looking for a boa or python as a first snake. Childrens pythons are great buit they are hard to fiund and sometime expensive.

4. Kikai

Kikai Elite Member

Definately Children's and Spotted pythons come to mind. They have fairly easy requirements and stay in the 3-4 foot range. I have Solomon Island Boas, which also stay in the 3-4 foot range and have a very cool prehistoric look to them. They are becoming more popular, and have very easy care requirements. Savu python's stay small, too, as well as the new world python, which isn't really a python at all, but still a very cool snake. Not many around, though. I think VIP has a breeding pair, but they are on loan for research purposes. I personally love my ball python. He was my first, and still my favorite. You just have to learn that them going off their eed fr extended periods of time is part of their "charm". :) Ring python's are another of the smaller species. I see all of the above (minus the New World Python) at expo's regularly. The Solomon's close cousin is the viper boa, which also stays small, but can be nippy.
    Let us know what you decide!

5. HerpBabe448

HerpBabe448 Well-Known Member

The only reason a ball python will have shedding problems is if you don't provide the correct humidity.

I think ball Pythons are a good first snake.

6. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

I have found BPs to be easy to care for, and I didn't know anything about them only what I had read, I have never had any shedding problems, the only problem I have with mine is feeding, he can go off feeding for no reason and it really gets you down, they are notorious for not feeding :eek:

If you want a python that doesnt grow so big I would go for a BP, I am thinking of moving up to a boa of some kind, I think I am ready for something a bit bigger than my corns and BP, but I won't untill I have researched and found one I want, and know I can care for.

7. BOA68

BOA68 Member

8. Demonic_Rage

Demonic_Rage Elite Member

In my opinion on bps I think shedding issues all depend on the snake I have 4 bps and I have one that will give you perfect sheds every time and then theres choas my male he is a pain in the butt you have to work with him and he still messes up the shed quite a bit. just my opinion though. Bps are good snakes to start with.

9. Joe

Joe Elite Member

Sorry a bit late in seeing this thread..

What about Dwarf Boas? Sonoran Dwarf or Corn Island Drawfs? Females should top out at about 5ft with males being a bit smaller. Get from a known breeder so that you do get a true drawf.

Irian Jaya Carpet Python these are a bit bigger topping out at about 6ft again males being smaller.

I think it has already been mentioned...Soloman Island Boa? Loads of different variations...including my fav the Viper Boa.

Hope this give some food for thought :)

10. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

How about Hogg Island Boas? (I think I spelled that right) lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.