This Disappears When Logged In

Small Fuzzy Worms in Cricket Delivery

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by jdandlucy, Aug 7, 2013.

1. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

i have ordered from fluckers cricket farm 3 times now, i have been very pleased with the crickets, speed of delivery. one thing i have had a problem with is these brown/black fuzzy worms i have had in all 3 shipments. i have not herd back from fluckers themselfs about this so i will ask you. has anyone else had a problem with these DSCF0266.jpg . are they safe? do i need to remove them? what if i feed one to my bearded dragons with his daily crickets.

2. Poison

Poison Elite Member

Just some type of cleaner crew beetles. probably Dermestes maculatus. They are safe.

3. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

ok ty poison

4. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

They're likely black larder beetle/incinerator beetle larvae. I've had them in my cricket boxes as well. While I believe they're harmless to feed to your reptiles, they eventually morph into beetles. The adult form can fly which is also something to consider when it comes to opening your feeder container. I always find them a hassle as they are very prolific as well. Whenever I see them, I toss them.

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

When I see them I feed them off as quickly as possible. They are harmless to reptiles so why waste the free food? I used to try to keep them as a cleaner crew but I didnt like them flying at my face so now they are automatic sacrifices.

6. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

lol the beardies where feed them worms and crickets at the same time. the worms where gone first and their where crickets closer.

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

They like variety. Also I think Hornworms are a favorite of beardies. Joker used to shun all food except hornworms. Harley eats only superworms though she has grudgingly ate silkworms. And Grundy and Zsaasz eat anything that moves though they are more enthusiastic over silkworms so far.

My turtles though seem to prefer the fuzzy sacrifices.

8. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

My animals are princesses. I can almost hear them go "ewww...seriously?" when I offer them. None will touch these worms (it's a struggle most days just to get them to eat any other type of worm). Hence why they got tossed in my house...

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I see. Tai is a little princess about food as well and Harley can be if it isnt a worm (she despises crickets and runs from roaches) but if all else fails the turtles eat any type of bug even dead ones.

10. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

mine love silkworms..like they do Leroy Jenkin jumps before I can even get them totally in the tank. Its insane. Spaz will eat pinkies too. She gobbles them up. But super rare treat there