This Disappears When Logged In

Sliding Glass Door or Hinged Glass Door?

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by exotics, Jan 3, 2014.

1. exotics

exotics New Member

I'm debating rebuilding my bearded dragon cages (replacing the PVC framework with wood framework) and would like to make a front facing door for each of them (they currently have a piece of plywood that lays over the top of their enclosures and a hole for the light to hang down). I have never worked with glass before and wouldn't know the slightest thing to do with it so I was wondering which would be easier to install and which would be cheaper, a sliding glass door or a hinged glass door?
    Subtract getting caught in the track of the sliding doors isn't a problem because their floors are lined with removable tiles.
    I will, however, state right now that I am not the greatest with tools and I have no tools to cut glass either, I would be buying precut sheets from the store.
    Also, if I go with sliding doors would I need a lock for any type of lizards or is that only with snakes?
    Thanks for any input :)

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Sliding glass doors are cheaper and easier. You just need to remember to get the glass edges rounded off so they dont chip over time. You wouldnt need a lock for the beardies.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Although a lock is a good idea if you have others in your home that might be tempted to mess with it.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

The only time sliding doors can be a problem is if you are keeping lizards on some type of particulate substrate. They will inevitably get it in the track for you. Not as much of a problem with snakes, and of course when using tile, as in your case, no problem at all. As for the glass, if you have someplace that does glass cutting near you you can have it cut to size and the edges rounded for a reasonable price.

5. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

I have three different enclosures with three different style doors. Sliding, hinged drop down, and hinged on the side. Of the three I prefer the drop down best. The sliding irritates me because the only way to access the whole enclosure is to take the glass out, and it also gets finger prints all over it all the time so Im costantly cleaning it. The hinged on the side works well enough, but it takes up a lot of room. I have to keep a large space cleared out in front to leave enough clearance. The drop down is the best of both worlds.

6. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I agree that dropdown is a good choice. providing it can drop down completely out of the way.
    It might be more difficult for you to install though as you would need a frame for the glass unless you went with lexan.
    Lexan you would be able to drill the hinges onto it.
    Second choice would be sliding, especially if you went with 1/4" glass.

7. ski107

ski107 New Member

I'm working on an enclosure for my beardie now and am modeling my doors after Vers' uro enclosure.

The hardware for those doors is by CR Lawrence (or they make one very similar) and can be found Amazon. It was around $29 for all the strikes, hinges, and magnetic latches for both doors.

8. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm a little late to the conversation, but for anyone who reads the thread in the future I wanted to throw out the idea of using a pre-made window. Single pane aluminum windows are a dime a dozen around here and there's no real hassle for the non-mechanically inclined.

9. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

I used a storm window sideways for my jcp's enclosure. It looks kinda nice, but it is a pain to open, and only one side opens without taking the thing apart.

10. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I suppose I should add that the enclosure I had was large enough for me to climb into to clean so I wasn't inconvenienced by the fact that only half of the cage was accessible at a time. I would just toss the iguana in the tub, put on some scummy old clothes and dive in with gloves, bucket and rags.

11. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

They do create an awesome seal. Plus you can get dual sliders if only one side opening doesn't work.
    I tried to find one for my last build but couldn't find a suitable size in a used one.

12. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Thats one nice thing about Tais new mansion-each side is a door so I have one large window on the front that doesnt have any seams and then I can open either side of his cage to reach in and clean, then if for some reason I cant reach I can always just walk in and get what I need done.