This Disappears When Logged In

Sliding Doors...

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by dieseldragon, Apr 23, 2013.

1. dieseldragon

dieseldragon Well-Known Member

So I have some experience building things but not by myself. The idea im playing with is a cabinet cage but im picky and cant find what I want.... so now im entertaining the idea of just building one from scratch... either way I want sliding doors.
    How would I install them?
    Glass or plexiglass?
    Approx. Price range?

Any other building advice is very appreciated!

2. NancyA

NancyA Elite Member

Glass or plexi would really depend on the type of animal you are planning on housing. Plexi will scratch from claws and cloud with high humidity or improper cleaning. Glass is easier to maintain but you would need to consider the thickness of the glass dependent on the animal. All of the hardware that you will need, runners and locks can be purchased in the big box stores or your local hardware store.
    Cost factor again would be dependent on size, material chosen and thickness of glass/plexi. Plexi products can run from $10 for plexi on up to $60 for lexan. Glass is cheaper but not as strong. Hint though with making two doors buy your glass or plexi large enough for both and have them cut it to size in the store. It's cheaper buying larger and if they cut it you don't need to worry about breaking it while cutting.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  3. dieseldragon

Its for a cwd so im thinking glass. How thick should it be if its in 2 pieces... roughly 1.5x4 feet each side?

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, you`ll need 6mm (1/4 inch) plate glass.

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Think about insulation value as well. Like Stefan said go with 1/4" plate glass. It holds in heat fairly well.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And anything much thinner is going to be very delicate!

7. dieseldragon

Thanks everyone! I definitely dont want fragile. .. I'm a bit of a klutz lol

8. MCMJ2005

MCMJ2005 Member

Where would one buy glass like this from? Can you just go to Lowes?

9. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Great question!

10. kriminaal

Likely get a better price from a company that sells custom glass.
    Make sure to price around and they can differ quite a lot.

11. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Rockler sells custom glass to custom specs.

12. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

Check around locally for a glass place.
    To my amazement there is a glass shop right in my small town, I would have never known about, if I didnt search for it.

Also, you can get Aluminum C-Channel from home depot, etc. I think its about 10 bucks for an 8 ft length. Put a strip along the top and bottom.
    If you do 1/4" glass panels, you'll need 1/2" wide C-channel(the center parts of the glass overlap).

13. gpolkin

gpolkin Well-Known Member

I recently bought a large piece of 1/4 inch glass from a local glass shop / window installer. I agree that you need to call around. Some places quoted double the price I ended up paying.

I went with a large swinging door approach but I ended up spending quite a bit on hinges to make sure they could support a large piece of glass and the wood frame.

Greg

14. Dirkthejerk41

Dirkthejerk41 Elite Member

My local lowes cuts glass for CHEAP!

15. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Lowes generally doesn't carry 1/4 inch. All they carry is the thin window pane type of glass.

16. kriminaal

We have different suppliers at work. One is as low as $2.60/sq ft for 1/4" and another is almost triple at $7.50/sq ft.