This Disappears When Logged In

Slate/rock Hides (and Other Accessories)

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by aeral, Jun 1, 2014.

1. aeral

aeral Elite Member

Hi All,

Been a long time. Just stopped in to get some information as I'll be redoing my leopard gecko's cage. My leo, Raptor, is doing splendidly and is just coming up on two years since I got her. recent photo of Raptor
    I'm also very happy to say she has calmed down a lot and will actually tolerate being picked up.

So my question has to do with the fact that I'd like to make some hides out of slate, and I'd like to glue them together. I may also make some other things out of slate for the enclosure, but primarily just thinking about hides for the moment.

What glues are safe for reptile enclosures? I've heard so many mixed things. The only thing I know for sure would be ok is the stuff you use to seal aquariums. But I've used E6000 before in other projects and I know it would work, I just don't know how safe it is.

As well, has anyone ever made their own fake plants and such and have a suggestion as to how to do it? I have some plastic plant bits that were from when I made aquarium accessories but sadly the accessories seem to have gone missing.

Thanks all!

2. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

i wouldnt use glue as for you do not know the chemicals used or if there isnt any residual fumes, so i would suggest using aquarium grade silicon..... but it shouldnt be a problem at all, slate makes great hides and even are great for basking spots.....

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

For gluing the stones together I would use 2 part epoxy. And just make sure to let it air out for a few days.

4. aeral

aeral Elite Member

Thanks, Merlin. I was looking for a less expensive option than aquarium silicon. I'll check it out. :)