This Disappears When Logged In

Sixxs Tank :)

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Jessica90, Feb 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vers

Vers Elite Member

IR guns are not completely necessary but they are definitely recommended and are extremely useful tools. While your probes will provide you with general ambient temps an IR gun will allow you to measure specific areas on the fly, like, for instance, the temperature on a branch 6" above the enclosure floor. As for cost, you can find them well under $20, although I'd be more inclined to go with one in the $20-30 range based on reviews. Still, that's a small drop in the bucket and a well worthwhile investment, IMO. Run a quick search on amazon OR check out harborfreight.com.

2. Jessica90

Jessica90 Elite Member

Harborfrieght ! Yay y'all just got
    Me a temp gun my
    Hubby loves any excuse to go to HF !! Lol fine fine man well y the
    Heck did I need probs that was like a 12 dollar waste :(

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

No, the probes are fine, keep the probe on the basking spot, it will give you an instant reading, a temp gun can be used to measure temps without having to move the probe around to measure other temp and waiting for it to measure it. The probes aren't a waste of money. One probe would have been fine since there is a long cord that can be moved throughout the enclosure, but with the probe and the temp gun that can be done without moving the probe.
    Temp gun is nice to have to check to make sure that your probes are working good.

4. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Keep the probes in there (where the dragon can't become entangled)--that will allow you to monitor your ambient temps. The IR gun can be used for everything else. Also, one other thing to note, the effective range of the IR gun depends on the gun's ratio. For example, if the gun has a 1:1 ratio that would mean in order to grab an accurate temp you need to take that reading 1" away from the surface you're measuring. If it has an 8:1 ratio that would provide you with an 8" working distance to obtain the targeted temperature. Basically the first number in the ratio represents the working distance in inches while the second number (usually a '1') represents the measured diameter in inches. So with a 10:1 IR gun I can take a measurement of a 1" spot 10" away. For an open top tank I'd say look for one that provides you with a ratio of 8:1 or greater.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The two different devices are used for two different reasons. The digital/ w /probe are there so you can monitor the temperature all the time. I doubt that you would stand there all day shooting the temp gun in there. The digitals also have a minimum/maximum reading so you will know the highest and lowest temperatures in the tank while you are not there to monitor it.

6. Jessica90

Jessica90 Elite Member

welp hubby said we can do that so we are gunna get a temp gun as well ok so heres a run down

Tile= done
    silicone aired out for 5 days= Done (it will be 5 days by the time we get Sixx)
    UVA Fixture= Done
    Hot side lamp and cool side lamp=Done
    temp gun= in progress
    decor=in progress
    smaller bulb= in progress
    heat emmiter= in progress
    2 probes for hot and cool side=done

so tank set up is getting there !
    e

7. Merlin

Not quite yet. You need a UVB not a UVA.
    UVB lights are what is necessary and they also emit UVA. However the reverse is not true.

8. Jessica90

Jessica90 Elite Member

oh ignore tht i ment UVB already got that so disregard its suppose to be a B not an A i order a Repti sun 10.0 24'

9. mld

Make sure that you find a basking spot to bring it up to the proper basking temperature. You can test things out by placing several pieces of different heights and place the probe on them to find out what temp it reads, also you want to be the proper distance from the UVB bulb.

Another tip that I find useful is to place my receipts in the box that the bulb comes in and write the date on the box that you started using it, this helps me remember when 6 months is up and time to change the UVB.

10. Jessica90

Jessica90 Elite Member

gotcha well im not sure how far the UVB will be from him it is INSIDE the tank because i red that the screen messes up how much actually gets to the beardie but its as high up as i could put it and it has its own cover so she cant touch it and im sure no matter where she is shess gunna be at least 6 inches from it if not less ?

11. mld

Did you say that the UVB has a cover to protect the beardie from touching it? Is it a plastic or glass cover? If so this will stop UVB from getting to the bearded dragon even more than the screen.

12. Vers

Vers Elite Member

You don't really want the animal that close--8" from the animals head/body is plenty close enough. And as Michele stated above, you don't want any plastic or glass covering the bulb...that will essentially filter the UVB out.

13. Jessica90

Jessica90 Elite Member

blh welp thne i guess no cover on it im not gunna now how far it is from a basking area until i have a basking area so these are all things im gunna have to fix once i have decor the uvb fixture is a under cabinet fixture

14. Merlin

Jessica you really need to look at what you type before you hit send!

15. Jessica90

Jessica90 Elite Member

that the first time ive made a mistake in quite a while

the only word thats ever really messed up is Gunna which i say in real life and forget so if u see gunna it mean GOING TO BE.......i loev everyones advice i appreciate all the help but please dont grammer nazi me over a few mistakes here and there

16. Merlin

It isn't about being a grammer nazi. Its about making it so everyone can understand what is being posted.
    There is a LOT of things I say in real life that I don't say on here!
    But what I was actually referring to was this

17. Jessica90

Jessica90 Elite Member

well im sorry once again for not being able to type.

18. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Don't take it personal, Jess :) I think after you start posting here more often you will get the hang of using auto correct to make sure those quick typing fingers didn't get ahead of your brain--most of us do it :) It's a lot easier just to take a minute or so after you're done typing just to go back through to make sure everything is laid out correctly rather than have people question what you just typed--avoid the 'oh, shoot!' moments.

I hope that makes sense and that it doesn't discourage you :)

19. Jessica90

Jessica90 Elite Member

yea i use auto correct haha what i type on here is 800xs better then how i REALLY type im actually spelling out all my words lol i just get to talking because im a girl and thats what we do well at least me haha if noones noticed i talk ALOT and i send stuff and then get a new train of thought sorry everyone :(

20. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

A lot of members are from different countries and speak different languges. So in order to read and understand what goes on they use a translator. So words like "gunna" and other slang come up as gibberish, so you can understand the frustration others have. That is why it's best to try and make sence of your typing. I know I make mistakes, I am dyslexic so you can imagine how bad my typeing can be. If I am over tired I can not type at all lol!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.