This Disappears When Logged In

Sixxs Tank :)

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Jessica90, Feb 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jessica90

Jessica90 Elite Member

Welp i got the fixtures i needed the tile is in cut and silicone is in now all i need is to buy the Repti sun UVB some things to climb on and Get my Baby girl here ! I'm so excited !! i know the light is red I'm going to get a heat emitter instead probably tomorrow or i might just order it off line. gunna get the 10 gal tank also to hold crikets it and a tank screen holder WITH A LOCK lol a 2 year old and a tank in his reach that opens full of bugs.... not good. any suggestions ?

409393_2739319086516_1363584791_32405912_872890555_n.jpg

429274_2739315406424_1363584791_32405902_105029418_n.jpg

Attached Files:

2. GoldDust

GoldDust Well-Known Member

That's looking nice! :D
    I really love that backsplash.

The only thing I can suggest (and this is only if you don't already have it) is just some wood to climb on, really. My sister's little guy LOVES to climb. : )

3. Jessica90

Jessica90 Elite Member

oh yea there will be ALOT of stuff in the tank for her to do this is just for lighting purposes to make sure its all looking good and to show my progress and then im going to add food dishes wood to climb hides all that stuff a hammock she will be loving it i just wanna make sure the basic set up is looking correct before i go adding in a bunch of other stuff :)

4. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Ah 2 year olds and bugs... When I first bred mealworms, the kids let them go. Thankfully in the back yard lol!!
    I have my crickets in a rubbermaid bin, I cut a hole in the top and hot glued some mesh.
    I bet you can't wait to see it all set up with Sixx :)

5. Jessica90

Jessica90 Elite Member

lol yea he is so destructive i think the only thing that's going to keep gage away from them is to LOCK them in so that's what im going to do... wyldose what do you think about the basic set up i just checked temps with the prob on the ground its 95 on the hot and the red like is at 85 and that's without having a branch in there yet to get it closer to the light

6. Jessica90

Jessica90 Elite Member

ok temps are rising its now 98.4 on the left and 88 on the red side.

7. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Sounds good so far :) If you have something you can prop up to approx where the basking spot will be you should be able to get the temps there.

8. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I saw Zilla makes a 10 gallon tank with a screen lid that has the little tab for a lock. Your set up is looking good

9. Jessica90

Jessica90 Elite Member

yea gunna have to get a 50w bulb the 75 is to strong if its already 100 pretty much once i put it up another 5" its gunna be WAY to got for Sixx and im not spending 60 bucks on 2 lamp stands >.<

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You really are not going to be able to tell much until you get the decor in. Once the levels in the cage change with the addition of the wood etc, the temperatrues on the surfaces will change due to them being closer to the lamps. A few inches can make a big difference.
    One thing I would suggest you look into is putting your heating elements on one end. You want a warm end and a cool end. With heaters on both ends of the tank it is going to tend to make it all one temperature and the lizard will not have anyway to cool off.

11. Jessica90

Jessica90 Elite Member

there is a cool end and a warm end the red light wouldnt actually be on when the white light was (the red ligth is being change to a hat emmiter and only function is for at nite IF my house isnt warm enough and yea i already figured i needed to get a lower watt bulb i dont even need to put any decor in there to know its going be much to hot once the decor is in it

12. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Love the background and the tile looks very natural!
    For the crickets, you can also use a rubbermaid tub! This will make it easier and less heavy and awkward to move when it comes time to clean.

Ditto on what Merlin said! He will need to thermoregulate!

13. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Looks good so far :) In addition to Merlin's recommendations I have a few other things that would be worth mentioning...
    -The fixtures seem to have a plastic socket housing, if that's the case be very careful using higher wattage bulbs in them--ceramic fixtures would be a much safer way to go.
    -I'm assuming those are thermal probes on each side of the enclosure? If that is the case and they are your only way of measuring temps I'd suggest, assuming you haven't done so already, picking up an IR temp gun (search amazon). This will allow you to gauge temperature readings off small areas in the enclosure.
    -Ensure the beardie has access to within 8-12" of the UVB bulb.

14. Jessica90

Jessica90 Elite Member

The temp gun I think is useful but not a nessesity inless someone is gunna say it's my
    Birthday and get me one ;) the fixture is for a 150w bulb I'm about to out a 50w I it and yay I'm glad it looks natural that was my goal And the UVB run threw the entire middle of her tank so from eaither side she will get UVB how much did y'all pay for a temp gun even tho I think it's a convince instead of a must have maybe it's worth it lol Sixx better love her home I'm digging into my coach purse fund !! Lol

15. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

TempGun
    And no its not an absolute necessity. I functioned for years without one, but it is a very useful tool.
    With a conventional thermometer with a probe, you have to wait a bit while the probe registers the temperature. If you are spot checking different areas this can take a bit of time.
    With the temp gun you get an instant reading of any given spot in the enclosure.

16. mld

I use both, but since its not crucial so it would be a great Birthday present!

17. Jessica90

Jessica90 Elite Member

Lol sooo who's getting me a gift ? Lol my birthday isn't until August but hey I can pretend I'll even wear a birthday hat !!

18. mld

I watched the flyers until they went on sale for 75% off! But the one that Merlin suggested can be purchased on-line and is for reptiles the one I have is just a regular one at the hardware store. I'm sure that your best friend would love to buy you one, I would e-mail them the link Merlin provided and this will give them time to save up their pennies!

19. Jessica90

Jessica90 Elite Member

Lol have a best friend who would buy a temp gun lol soo who on here is my best friend save them pennies ! Lol and I can get a hardware one ? Does it function the samnor
    Is it
    More or less

20. mld

The one that Merlin linked you is less expensive!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.