This Disappears When Logged In

Site Platform

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by redtailgal, Jan 25, 2012.

1. redtailgal

redtailgal Elite Member

I really like this forum platform, could someone tell me where it came from? It is huddler platform? or a Vbulletin?

I belong to a another forum who recently switched platforms, and was wanting to compare the two

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

This site is based on vbulletin. But Rich has done a lot of customizing to it.
    He's our tech wizard!

3. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

I use VBulletin as well on my boards.

Some of the haters have things to say, but bottom line is all the top forums running have the VBulletin platform.

It's like the "microsoft" of forum software.

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The biggest issue people have with vbulletin is the price tag and rightfully so. Once vb was bought out by IB the price tag almost doubled. Then they broke everything up into individual products top rape peoples pocketbooks. I dont envy people who want to start a new vbulletin site because it will run $400+ for the complete package and the admin panel can be pretty overwhelming. If you want to customize the site from the default (HC is VERY custom) expect a pretty large learning curve. It is certainly powerful and feature rich but I am not a fan of the new owners (I have some choice words for what I think of them). I love how I can plug my code in and I am fluent in the template system and vbulletins conditionals so I can make the site do backflips (literally) if I choose. I have been working with the software though for 8 years. As a new purchaser i can only imagine how all the controls look. lol

5. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

I am right there with you, When I purchased my first VB license, it was only $100 to start a forum.

When they sold out, I was informed I needed to pay another $200 for continued support and the "right to upgrade"

So yeah, they dig into your wallet.

I enjoy the skins and plugins, however your coding skills are vastly more advanced than mine, so even though I did manage to create some nice stuff, I have to give credit to the coders at VB.org, all I did was use dreamweaver to customize things the way I wanted.

However, Server costs are another factor many new startups overlook, trying to install a forum on a free site is utterly a waste of time, and cheap shared server packages are almost just as bad.

6. xViLLaiN

xViLLaiN Banned User

Im pretty familiar with the admin pannel on a previous vbulletin site. I was a moderator/admin on a previous forum I used to belong to and in all honesty, I hated it. It is VERY overwhelming. I do love the ability to customize it, there was a lot of very cool features we had on the site, but I honestly just left it to the tech gurus on our site, I was more there for moderation of the forums, usergroups, and dealing with designing the graphics, but I never played with any of the coding features and I would like to think that was a good idea, since I surely would have clicked something that would have crashed the site lol.