This Disappears When Logged In

Silkworm(s)

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by DSling, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Nice! Good to hear that they are working out

2. DSling

DSling Well-Known Member

they are about 5 mm at day 18

3. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

I can't wait for mine to hatch! I got the food all made and ready to go.

4. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Hey DS, you said the eggs needed light right? I dont want to bother my frog or dubias so i just put a flashlight over the container, you think thats ok? lol

5. DSling

DSling Well-Known Member

that's what I did. Used a little led flashlight. You have to do a day night cycle. If you don't the hatch will be spread over a week or two. doing the cycle will get them all out within 1-3 days. Once they hatch I don't think it matters. It's always dark in there right now and they are growing fine.

6. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Ok thanks :)

7. GoldDust

GoldDust Well-Known Member

This thread was very interesting to read. I hope you continue to update over time. :)

8. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Got mine on 31st and still no hatch

9. DSling

DSling Well-Known Member

I have a couple that have spun into cocoons. My wife cannot handle the smell of the food. I don't know if it is because she is preggers or that she just can't do it. Now for the bad news... the frass (worm poop) triggers my allergies. I will not be able to grow them for long term. I am using a respirator for now. I just want to get it up to the egg stage again.

one of the things that I was testing was to feed them different amounts. All from the same hatch I have them ranging from 1/4" to 2". The more you feed them the faster they grow. If you feed them every other day it will slow down their development. I am not sure how long they will live like that but you are going to use those as feeders anyway right?

10. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Sorry to hear they make you sick man . Hope you feel better.

11. GoldDust

GoldDust Well-Known Member

That stinks that they make you sick! It's kind of like the dropped hammer on the project, since everything else seemed to be working out great.

12. DSling

DSling Well-Known Member

it does suck. my son enjoyed feeding them to toothless. the worms that i have left will be fed off. i will the cocoons become moths and mate. i may continue breeding them but only during the summer months and leave them outside. i am by no means an expert but i am comfortable with my level of knowledge. if you have any question please feel free to ask.

we talked about getting our dubia colony started but we may just try to get an established colony.

13. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Yea thats a good idea. Just chill your eggs untill summer and then put them outside. My eggs havnt done anything so idk if ill have silkworms but dont matter to me anymore cause my guys wont even eat the dubias I have. I had some mealworms going nicely but they didnt want those either so I got rid of them.

14. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Sorry to hear about your allergy, that really bites! Hope you feel better!

15. jarich

jarich Elite Member

Be very interested to hear how quickly they grow and breed. Hornworms grow so fast!

16. DSling

DSling Well-Known Member

@ Jarich They reach full size around 25 days after hatching. after that they get a little smaller before they pupate. Average size was about 3 in. I have some that are 3/4 in. They all hatched the same time I was just doing a little test. Just like with the horn worms they grow as they eat. If they do not eat as much they will not grow. This also delays them going into the pupa phase. I did this to see if I could seperate one hatch enough that I could feed off all of them across a longer time period other than the whole batch needing to be fed off of at week 3 and having 100+ worms left over. If you can get your schedule down a 50 will feed my beardie for a week at 22 days (with constant feeding).

17. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

My eggs are at day 12 since getting them and still nothing. I give them a few more days and Im just gonna toss them.

18. jarich

jarich Elite Member

Wow, for some reason I thought they were much smaller than that, thanks for the info.

19. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Just looked in my dish and saw that the eggs are hatching!!! They are so tiny :D

20. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Its been 24 hours and only like 3 hatched :( How should I feed them with out hurting the other eggs or should I wait?