This Disappears When Logged In

Silkworm(s)

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by DSling, Dec 31, 2011.

1. DSling

DSling Well-Known Member

I'm sorry I haven't been posting more but I have to focus on fixing some things around the house along with long hours at work. So, a quick update. The worms are progressing well and they are still in their 1st instar. The only thing that I have not posted so far was how I was transferring them at the start.

IMG_0097.jpg

I went to a craft store and purchased a very soft paint brush. lightly touch them and place them on the food that you have laying out.

Once that initial transfer is made I don't think I will use the brush again till my next kegos hatch. I was surfing around and came across a way to use netting. We'll see how it goes when they reach the 2nd instar. There isn't a point to moving them till them.

2. DSling

DSling Well-Known Member

My mortality rate has jumped through the roof. They weren't so big that they had to all be seperated and they got a little "sickness" within the bin. I'm trying to keep them as warm to have them grow as fast as possible but that plus a little humidity led to them getting sick. It is called Grasserie. I got it fixed but I have about 40/200 left. These that are still alive are going strong though. We will see how many of them pupate.

I can see the stripes on them too now. I purchased Zebra silks and the females have the stripes. I am about 50/50 male to female.

3. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Keep it goin man! Im interested in how this is gonna go.

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Sorry to hear about your set back, hopefully the others will thrive! Definitely a learning experience for you, chin up and keep going;)

5. DSling

DSling Well-Known Member

(everything that i have posted i have taken directly from my journal)

I lost quite a few of the worms to a sickness so I am down quite a few. If what I have left can mate I will still end up on top for the amount of worms that I bought.

What I am covering now is how to swap the worms from one bin to the next. First off I had a netting down so I could have moved them from one bin to the next easily but the food is dried out on it and there is silk and frass all over. IMG_0115.jpg IMG_0116.jpg The worms are too big to fit in the old netting so I went to Walmart and purchased the decorative settings and cut it to fit the bin. IMG_0114.jpg IMG_0117.jpg Then I placed a strip of chow right next to the old one. IMG_0118.jpg The worms will climb through and start eating the new one. IMG_0119.jpg Lift them out on the netting and place them into the new bin. I wash my bins in the dishwasher with high heat then wipe everything down with alcohol. Of course it isn’t the delicious drinking kind.

That is it all in a nutshell.

Thanks for telling me to keep my head up. I will finish this out no matter what. Just like everything else in life, "I'm smart enough to stay and too dumb to quit."

6. mld

Very clever idea with the lace runner! What was the first netting you used, it looks like tool!

7. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

How long did it take them to get that big. Like from whrn u got the eggs to now

8. mld

Its all documented in the thread!

9. DSling

DSling Well-Known Member

@mid I went to a fabric store and got 3 yds for $3. It's the same thing that would be used as a vail. I got the idea from wormspit. The same place that told me what the issue was with them being sick.

@evozakira They came in on Jan 5 and hatched on 13 Jan. So they are 13 days old and about 1/4" long. They reach full size around the 25 day mark.

10. mld

Yep, us girls call it tool (wedding tool)
    Thanks

11. DSling

DSling Well-Known Member

If you look in this pic you will see the silk kinda standing with it’s head up. This one is about to shed. They anchor their backside with silk and walk right out of their skin. You can also see that some are white and others are black and white. The Zebra ones are the females and plain ones are the males. That is how I am able to tell them apart.

IMG_0122.jpg IMG_0116.jpg

@Mid My wife read that, laughed and said, "Men don't know anything."

12. mld

Your wife sounds very wise! lol

Thats very cool how you they differ between males and females.

13. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

I think i might have to try this to. Seems like its working pretty good for you.

14. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

So i ordered a 200 egg kit from coastal. Im in MN and the shipping was $12 for 3day. If i wanted live worms it would have been $20 so i just went with the eggs.

15. DSling

DSling Well-Known Member

It was the same way for me. My goal is to only have to buy food. They estimate 200 eggs from each female when they finaly lay them. That is for the Zebras. I've never looked up the other ones. Good luck and remember that the warmer you have it the faster they will hatch. The more you feed them the faster they will grow.

16. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Thanks we will see how this andventure goes lol. The eggs come monday so hopefully having them and the dubias i just got i can quit crickets. Had churper last night >.<

17. DSling

DSling Well-Known Member

So after a long debate (wife talked and I listened) we (she) decided to start breeding Dubias. The cost of setting up is equal to a week of feeding. This last time that we bought them I separated what I thought was females (large juicy nymphs) and a male and threw them in a sterlite container sharing the silkworm incubator till I get the time from work to set up a bin. I might have to work 12-18 h shifts for a couple of weeks.

18. DSling

DSling Well-Known Member

After a little debate (wife talks and I listen) we (she) decided to breed Dubias. The last purchase we made I separated 1 male and a few large juicy nymphs that I think are female into a sterlite container, the same size I use for the silk worms, and placed them on the opposite side of my silkworm incubator. I will set up a bin for them once I get time from work. We may be starting 12-18 hr shifts. :(((

@ evozakira did you ever get the silk eggs? How does the kit look?

19. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

The kit is ok but im now seeing i need to order more food. The eggs came today and i have them in a bin at 85 degrees. They look like they should hatch in a day or two gonna put in a food order today cause i only got a half pound. Glad to here the wife is gonna do dubias :) how are your silkies doin

20. DSling

DSling Well-Known Member

they are longer than my pinky. I wear xl motorcycle gauntlets. A bunch of them are about to go into their next instar. I'll put a measurement when I finish dinner.