This Disappears When Logged In

Silk™ Soy Milk

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Og_, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

When I chop up my veggies, I always add as much water as possible with out making it runny so that my ig get's as much hydration as possible.
    I was wondering if it were ok to add soymilk instead? it wouldn't be much.
    I have started drinking Silk vanilla soy milk and it tastes great! and has zero cholesterol. It also has many nutrients like omega3 fatty acids, calcium, vitamins, and minerals.
    I was mainly worried about the protein content.
    Here's a break down of the nutrtion facts:

Nutrition Information for Silk Soymilk - Vanilla (Natural), Quart, Half-Gallon, Twin Pack

2. MollyJ

MollyJ Elite Member

Eh, I wouldn't do it. That protein and salt and sugar isn't good for them. I think it's best to stick with water. Interesting idea though.

3. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Old Fashioned Quaker Oats sprinkled on their meal along with the water - I do that sometimes. Or a bit of Alfalfa (rabbit food) which mine like a lot less than the oats.

4. MamaGwynn

MamaGwynn Elite Member

Hmm I personally wouldn't do it, but I think soy milk is kinda ick anyway. I know it mimics estrogen and can cause hormone issues but I don't even know if that could be an issue with igs??

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I wouldn't do it.
    One of the main problems with soybeans and soy products is that they are high in goitrogens, substances that interfere with the thyroid gland's ability to uptake the iodine in the diet. Feeding these on a regular basis is asking for trouble.

6. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

There you go.

And there I was thinking that soy was just the perfect food...for humans, anyway. Actually feeling almost guilty for hating it.

7. MamaGwynn

MamaGwynn Elite Member

See, no need to feel guilty. The food industry can be very misleading!

8. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

No!! That food industry is right in what they are saying is in the most part.. They don't manufacture for reptiles.!! I have heart problems and will on going do the silk/soy milk.. Hadn't even given it a thought for my retptiles though.. I am the human, doesn't mean that what I do for my health is what they should do.. Especially any kind of milk product...

9. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Yeah, soy milk has its pros and cons but isn't made for reptiles! I personally drink silk because I've got some issues with milk(Not really lactose intolerant, just something similar)

Interesting idea, but probably wouldn't be good for the reptiles!

10. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I'm OK with the responses that I got, But let's be clear! Soy milk has absolutely no ingredients from anything that comes from any mammary glands of any animal! It is not real milk! It is not even close to real milk.

If I were to use it, It would just be a tablespoon at a time.

11. Gibson90kb

Gibson90kb Elite Member

AS long as you sprinkle, wet, mist, or whatever you do to their greens, and have a source of fresh water. There is no reason for them to not be well hydrated in the first place. I do this to Brutus' food just for the sake of doing it. If you want to add more nutrition to the diet theres many things you can do.

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Actually one of the main issues with captive iguanas is that they are clinically dehydrated. Anything to get more moisture into them is a good policy.
    But Soy milk isn't one of them.
    One of the best ways is to use a bit of Repcal iguana pellets that have been soaked in cool water for 10-15 minutes. They soak up water like a sponge!

13. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

The allergy warning label on my soy milk reads: contains soy, may contain traces of milk.

Now most generaly when a label warns that there is a possiblity that it may contain something, it does..
    Anyway, does or doesn't, I do beleive it is a good product but I don't feel that Soy Milk is as wholesome and as natural as they want you to beleive. Plain soy milk is the best. The vanilla flavored is the one that has the sugar amounts in it.
    Just my thoughts!!

14. MamaGwynn

MamaGwynn Elite Member

I don't intend to start a debate about this (or offend anyone), and this link is not about soy and iguanas, but it is some info to consider on the soy topic. Just a balance for all the positive marketing that's out there for soy that, as I said before, could be misleading.

Soy Alert

15. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

This is unreal. No more soy of any kind for me!!!

By the say, the word Soy is Spanish for I Am.

16. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I agree completely! The best thing for dehydration is PURE water!

This whole argument reminds me of when I was a kid.
    My "Elders" use to tell me how important it was to drink "Pure" water.
    I argued back that both tea and cola were at least 90% water and they told me No! You need plain ole water to drink everyday!
    There's nothing better!
    After all these years I have not heard of any drink that is better than water! go figure!

The repcal that I use needs to be soaked for about 30 minutes.