This Disappears When Logged In

Signature

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Komododragon12, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I am not Kernal but I can tell you where the money goes to.
    Look at your screen.
    This site is not cheap to run. It requires money. Rich has paid for most of this out of his own pocket and the donations go toward helping alleviate some of that. None of the staff are paid, we do what we do out of our desire to help. None of the money goes toward anyone getting an ipod.

2. Komododragon12

Komododragon12 Elite Member

I don't want to be harsh or to nosy, but I agree. What is this going too?

3. Merlin

Read the post right above your last one!

4. Komododragon12

What does it take to become a volunteer staff?

5. Merlin

We have to be needing an extra body, and the current staff gets together and selects possible candidates from the membership, then we vote on it.

6. Komododragon12

Sweet!

7. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

How did wormfood get the idea I was the admin?

8. Komododragon12

He probably saw your elite member status! lol

9. Komododragon12

Omg! I'm an elite member now! Woohoo!

10. WormFood

WormFood Active Member

Merlin,
    Thanks for answering my question. Like i said previously, its great having a place to socialize with people that know more than me based on actual experience rather than care sheets. Im far from an expert, but of the group of hobbyist i know in person theres not much they can tell me i dont know. So after Christmas is done raping my bank account id be glad to show some financial love to this site :)

11. Komododragon12

If I can find out how, me too! lol

12. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

Yea, you became one 9 posts ago.

13. Komododragon12

Really? lol

14. Komododragon12

I seriously never noticed i=until I posted something about wormfood thinking that you were merlin because you were elite and then I looked up at my profile and saw that I was elite. Ooooohhhh....

15. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

Hahahahahahaha!

16. Komododragon12

I am SO unobservant.

17. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

That happened to me too on another forum.

18. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

I'm pretty much apethetic to the whole "membership" thing, as long as I can use what I got on to use, but man, this is funny.

19. Merlin

The membership levels are merely there to encourage active use of the forum. And as the membership status advances, more features of the site open up to you.
    It one of the ways we thank those who are active participants.

20. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

This site costs $125.00 per month to host. Donations, our adsense ads and the forum sponsors help to cover that expense. Some months it doesn't cost me anything out of pocket and other months I cover as much as 3/4 of that. That is a monthly expense and comes with the territory of running a site this large.

Annually the site cost me even more because we have licenses that require maintaining so that I can keep the site current. Our site is running vbulletin with a large number of modifications and 3rd party software. Each of these things require a licensing fee annually if I want the site to run the latest code. (Which helps thwart attacks that take sites down.) I also have to invest money to improve the site. This year was pretty costly to me as the cost of upgrade scripts and the creation of the 2 new mobile apps the site will be announcing were not cheap (hundreds).

Now lets talk about my time. That costs more than everything I pay out of pocket. I work on other websites and get paid an hourly rate or a rate per modification that I write up. I don't get paid to work on HC. I am not talking about responding to posts, which I also do. I am talking about the hours of actual work I do to the site every day to ensure this site is accessible, runs smooth, has new features, etc. Currently I am in the process of completing the upgrade we just went through and have a few weeks of work before everything has been updated and is back in place. I have been coding at least 3 hours each day since I am currently laid off.

You have no idea how angry that comment makes me. People like you are the very reason there are not more quality websites out there. Why does it matter to you if your donation were helping the person who made the website buy an ipod? Are you saying that you are entitled to this or any other website you visit? Are you really that naive and ignorant? People WORK to make these websites. You use them for FREE. Sending in a donation as a thank you is the least you could do. It shouldn't matter where it is going. It's called gratitude. You should really work on getting some. I haven't a clue where people like you get this notion of entitlement from.

"I might donate if I know its paying a bill but I refuse to donate if its just a means of saying thanks for what I have been provided for free." That mentality is unbelievably ignorant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.