This Disappears When Logged In

Sick Water Dragon

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Carmor, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Carmor

Carmor Elite Member

Charlie is five years old and has been pretty healthy. Her cage is about 5' tall x 6' wide x 3.5 deep. She has a 10 gallon filtered pool - we use 3 Reptisun 10.0 UVB's and a daytime bulb (quad fixture) - she has a heat panel. Her temps throughout the enclosure range from 90-92 degrees and humidity is around 60%. Her bulbs are changed every 6 months unless they go out. She has a diet of dubia, hornworms, butterworms and occasional super worms. She has been sick for about 3-4 wks and not eating regularly and now it's pretty non-existent. We had a fecal which had a very small trace of pin worms so she was treated with Fenbendazole 1x wk for 3 wks. That didn't seem to be the cause of her illness. I took her back to the vet for what we thought may be a respiratory infection and she has been on Baytril for 4 days and showing no improvement. I had them give her some fluids and a B12 injection which neither seemed to help. She does this gulp, cough type thing anytime she gets anything in her mouth...meds..food etc. I'm not sure if it's something in her throat or her stomach, I am thinking stomach. I don't think our vet knows what to do or what it may be. I wondered if anyone has had a similar issue with their CWD and if so what you found out.

Thanks in advance!

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I don`t quite understand the temp range, is that a mistake (90 to 92f) throughout?
    How are you measuring both the ambient (air) and the surface temp plus the humidity range (if 60% is the highest figure in the enclosure it`s too low)? Can you put a few photos up of the whole enclosure (including the heat/lighting)? Thanks!
    Edit: There won`t have been any significant improvement after only 4 days on Baytril, it needs to build up in the system.
    I`d also like to ask when was the last time she was gravid and what happened to the eggs?

3. Carmor

Carmor Elite Member

Thanks for your reply. Here is a picture of her cage and depending on which shelf or log she is on the temp may vary. We measure this with several digital thermometers throughout her cage. The humidity I realize is a little low. I have a fogger that I am going to put in there to amp it up a bit. That's good to know about the Baytril, I didn't realize it needed to build up. Gravid/Eggs is an interesting topic here.....Charlie has never had eggs and I know she is female as she has been X-rayed several times over the last 5 years. We use so many bulbs because her cage is so deep and the heat source besides the lights is up at the top...it's a heat panel and it's on a temperature gauge. It was difficult to get a picture of it.

Attached Files:

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for the photo, obviously a lot of time and effort has gone into the enclosure layout although I`m not sure how effective it actually is in providing the lizard with supportive conditions at the moment?
    How are you measuring the basking surface temp and what is that, also what are you using as a basking object? I cannot see anything in the way of a nesting area, where is it? One more question for now; what temp is the water she soaks/swims in?

5. Carmor

Carmor Elite Member

She typically basks on the shelf which is sort of in the middle, there is a light hanging directly above it and that basking spot is about 92...she often will move to the big log to get out of the warmth. In the right corner next to her basking shelf she has a nesting space. It's deeper and filled with a mixture of sand, mulch, organic soil. She did spend some time in there but never did any digging...she actually started going to the bathroom in there vs her water. Her swimming pool is heated and is about 78-80 degrees. She rarely goes in there anymore either. I am at a loss...

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Can you tell me how big the dragon is right now (as accurately as possible), also can you take a photo of the "nesting site" and tell me how firmly the substrate is tamped down and what temps you get from the bottom to the top (of the nesting container)?

7. Carmor

Carmor Elite Member

She was at the vet this past Saturday and she was 1 pound 4 ounces (approx 577 grams). Here is a picture of the nesting spot...it's in a corner in the cage and it's a little deeper than it looks. It was meant to be a waterfall area but we never used that part of it so we filled it with nesting "stuff". The surface temp there is about 88 degrees F measured with a digital gun thing (??)

Attached Files:

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Sorry I should have made myself clear, I wanted to know how long ("big") the dragon is (cm or inches).
    I doubt very much if the lizard has been gravid previously (which is quite likely) that the space you`ve provided would have been suitable, it`s much too exposed, much too small and I suspect not enough depth (how deep is it exactly)? The temperature I was asking about was the substrate temp at different depths, not the air temp in that area.

9. Carmor

Carmor Elite Member

She is almost 3 feet long total. Correct, she has never been gravid. The space she has is probably about 6-8 inches deep (it slopes). She rarely doesn't go in there much anymore. What signs would she be displaying if she were gravid? How big of a space would she need as there is an area toward the bottom that she doesn't use I could provide more private space for her. I don't know what the actual temperature of the substrate there would be...I would assume it's on the cooler side. When I give her the meds and she swallows she does a sort of hiccup thing that I almost thing she will throw up but she doesn't. The vet looked down her throat and there isn't any blockage.

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Who actually determined the gender, because 3 feet is quite big for a female? Can you show a whole body photo (recent)?
    The signs of gravidity will be an increase in weight over a relatively short space of time, at later stages a lack of appetite.
    They will not deposit eggs too close to the surface and the substrate also needs to be heated from the very bottom to the top to between approx. 27 to 30c, and apart from that it needs to be firmly tamped down and a relatively even depth @ approx. 25cm or so (10 to 12 inches). The larger the nesting area the more choice the animal has of finding a suitable spot to lay...
    Edit: You can check the substrate temps with an IR Temp-gun.
    Sorry, another question; what type and wattage is the "basking" bulb?

11. Carmor

Carmor Elite Member

Sorry....size was suppose to be about 2 feet. I was at work and typing on my phone. The last time I measured her she was 8" from snot to vent and total length about 29" from snot to tip of tail. We thought she was a "he" but an X-ray revealed that Charlie was a "she". This was a few years ago. She has always been a little fat around her belly. Her "basking" bulb is a 50w just above that middle shelf. She tends to hid out in the cooler areas so we have never bumped up her basking spot. Otherwise she is right about in the middle of the cage on her long log.