This Disappears When Logged In

Sick Trans-pecos , Genetics?

Discussion in 'Ratsnakes' started by Grantandmax, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Grantandmax

Grantandmax New Member

My suboc is very sick. He is roughly 2 years old blonde phase and I have had him for about 15 months. We got him from a breeder at a reptile show in arizona. He lives in a 10 gallon on aspen with a hot side of about 86-88 and cold side between 73-75. He was fine until about 6 months ago thus beginning my endless adventure of vet visits and after hundreds of dollars I'm still left with no answers. It started with some wheezing and a small respiratory issue to which we got him on a cycle of antibiotics. That didn't really help and he was always rubbing his face all over the enclosure. He had completely rubbed his nostrils away and after a few visits we accepted that vet didn't know anything about reptiles and we'd have to try a new one and start over. Asked around all over town was highly recommended to another vet. So we take him there and start the process over again. This vet says that the antibiotics the other vet gave were no good and he had something better and we should try that and run a fecal. We run the fecal and they find pinworms, he tells me that's not a big deal for snakes and to not worry about that. After those antibiotics were complete we waited. He was showing no signs of RI anymore, and since he had rubbed his nostrils down he basically is going to be opening his mouth on and off to breathe for the rest of his life. But he started eating again and gained back all the weight he had lost in the previous few months. So next his belly starts turning all pink and shriveling up, and his vent gets all dry and crusty and also a bit shriveled, and we go back to that vet who next recommends a topical ointment and a bathing solution and says it would all heal right up if we did the soaks and ointment on a regular basis. After a few weeks of this not working as well as more problems developing, we start asking around for a new vet and find one that is highly recommended, as well as way more expensive and about an hour and a half away but we really want to save the little guy so we take him there. This one tells us that the blonde phase subocs are frequently inbred and tend to have poor genetics and weakened immune systems if not produced from a responsible breeder and that he could tell ours was a victim of this. He basically told us that the snake has too many health problems and would likely continue to have these problems and our options are getting limited. He doesn't feel he is suffering as of right now but quality of life is compromised. I would like to know if anyone has experienced anything like this, in any species of snake? The vet said he can do more tests and try to save him but it would likely not do much that the snake is simply unhealthy. Sorry to make this thread so long any input will be greatly appreciated! I'm going to try to figure out how to post pictures right now...

2. Grantandmax

Grantandmax New Member

Here's pictures...

Attached Files: